DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Black Hemi intake box (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/200675-black-hemi-intake-box.html)

butch1581 05-14-2009 06:27 PM

Black Hemi intake box

This may have been answered before, but the black box that connects to the throttle body on the 06's where it says "HEMI 5.7"

Is that restrictive? Would it be better to run a CAI into the box or remove it? It seems like it has chambersbuilt into it on both sides?

BEAR 05-14-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by butch1581 (Post 1667653)
This may have been answered before, but the black box that connects to the throttle body on the 06's where it says "HEMI 5.7"

Is that restrictive? Would it be better to run a CAI into the box or remove it? It seems like it has chambersbuilt into it on both sides?

That is refered to as the HEMI HAT. Yes it is restrictive and yes it would be better to remove it and run the CAI to the TB.

AF_HEMI 05-14-2009 06:37 PM

yeah the Hemi Hat... aka the Dunce Cap. get it outta there!!

butch1581 05-14-2009 06:41 PM

Not calling you out at all, but why is the Hemi Hat restrictive. Why was it designed like it is from the factory? It seems like all those passages should do something? It is all just for show huh? Better just attaching 3" pvc right to the TB for an intake then? Thanks for the help. I have a K+N Drop in right now and I get great MPG I am affraid if I change the intake it might make it worse? any cases of that, or am I talking out my butt?

butch1581 05-14-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI (Post 1667659)
yeah the Hemi Hat... aka the Dunce Cap. get it outta there!!

NICE I like the Dunce Cap......guess I will ditch it

weedahoe 05-14-2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by butch1581 (Post 1667661)
Not calling you out at all, but why is the Hemi Hat restrictive. Why was it designed like it is from the factory? It seems like all those passages should do something? It is all just for show huh? Better just attaching 3" pvc right to the TB for an intake then? Thanks for the help. I have a K+N Drop in right now and I get great MPG I am affraid if I change the intake it might make it worse? any cases of that, or am I talking out my butt?

Manufactures never look out for your best interest. There is always room for improvement. Look at the crappy tires that come on the truck that SOME of is are lucky to get 40k out of. I know at my 40k mark they were bald. So I understand they design and do things for a reason but it isnt always in the name or the customer or MPGs

AF_HEMI 05-14-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 1667712)
Manufactures never look out for your best interest. There is always room for improvement. Look at the crappy tires that come on the truck that SOME of is are lucky to get 40k out of. I know at my 40k mark they were bald. So I understand they design and do things for a reason but it isnt always in the name or the customer or MPGs

+1. until you get into the high end exotics, you're gonna run into this. manufactures pay designers to design a vehicle as efficiently (cost wise) as possible. the designers come up with a design and its usually not the most fuel efficient design ever the first time round, but it would cost more to redesign it than it would keep the working design. not sayin they always take the first sketch, but they put the extra design costs into things that really matter (i.e. safety, styling, etc.). besides... if they got it perfect, we couldnt mod it up!! :cool:

604 05-14-2009 07:44 PM

i made my cai for 30 bucks at lowes ditched that hemi hat asap

butch1581 05-14-2009 09:28 PM

Sweet, Thanks for the help. I am off to Home Depot tomorrow, I know I have seen a few on here but any pics of home-made CAI's would be helpful. Thanks again....

Dodgeboy77 05-14-2009 10:08 PM

I talked to cai dealer befor i bought and he said from experience that removing the hat loses torque, so i didn't.