3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Shifter issue

I've gotten most of the issues lined out with my '02 Ram 1500. Motor is desludged and purring like a kitten. Replaced the original shocks (had to use a cut ff wheel) and the old gal is turning into a good driver. One thing is keeping it from being great. The shifter interlock. When you place your foot on the brake pedal, it should release and go into what ever gear you select. It doesn't like to do that. Try to take it out of park and yo have to jiggle (<---fancy technical term) the lever and it will eventually release. As long as you don't shut the ignition off, it will then work fine. Shut off the ignition and you have to fight it again.

Anybody deal with this in the past? Linkage problem? Worn key switch? Woodland Pixies sneaking in at night? The Dakotas had a recall in '02 for a linkage problem but no unfulfilled recalls are out there for my truck.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:33 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

You can remove it and check its operation. You could also lubricate it and see if it moves more freely... or swap it out. Could be your brake switch getting flakey too. There are a couple pics of the thing in the thread below.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...side-dash.html

Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
You can remove it and check its operation. You could also lubricate it and see if it moves more freely... or swap it out. Could be your brake switch getting flakey too. There are a couple pics of the thing in the thread below.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...side-dash.html

I was thinking possibly the brake switch. I had surgery Monday and it will be a while before I can bend over to work on it. At 17 years and 132,000 miles, the switch may just be worn out.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Got in the truck today with a can of WD-40 stick and stay gel lubricant. About 5 minutes to pull the rubber boot, spray the linkage and work it a bit. Pop the boot back on and it works smooth now.

Quick Reply: Shifter issue