3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do i need to prime the oil pump now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 PM
cool breeze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need to prime the oil pump now?

I think my brain stopped working for a bit because this is what i did. I was changing the oil on our dodge ram 5.7 and once the oil had drained i needed to move it. I figured it would be fine to run it with no oil for 20 seconds.

Now that im ready to fill the oil and button her up, i just remembered that last time i changed an oil pump on my 2nd gen it needed to be filled(primed) before starting. Need some good solid knowledge here as its a nice truck im working on here.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cool breeze
I think my brain stopped working for a bit because this is what i did. I was changing the oil on our dodge ram 5.7 and once the oil had drained i needed to move it. I figured it would be fine to run it with no oil for 20 seconds.

Now that im ready to fill the oil and button her up, i just remembered that last time i changed an oil pump on my 2nd gen it needed to be filled(primed) before starting. Need some good solid knowledge here as its a nice truck im working on here.
The BEEEZE in your name must be blowin through your ears if you cranked that truck up with no oil!! If you only had to run it for 20 seconds couldn't you have pushed it???For you to take a chance like that just don't make no sence to me, but thats me, I'M CRAZY!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM
cool breeze

Thanks for the insult, any helpful criticism?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

im with bear on this one ...bad move to start her up with no oil hope you didnt dammage anything

Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM
cool breeze

There can't be anything damaged from 20 seconds of no oil, do you know how long it takes for oil to reach the top of an engine during cold start up? What happens when a oil pump fails, does the motor seize immediately? Does damage occur as soon as the failure? It takes time and heat with no lube to damage an engine, not 20 seconds of runtime.

Lets take a breath and get back to the original topic, do i need to prime the oil pump?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhm

While I totally agree with the other 2 guys, you'de be hard pressed to prime the oil pump since I do believe its crankshaft driven, fire it up and hope for the best---
if the bearings are scored, its already a done deal.

I really doubt that they are, but I wouldn't do that again---soft bearing material just doesn't take """DRY RUBBING""" too well.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Bout all you can do is fire it up. Don't know how you'd prime the pump, since it's down low in the crankcase. If it were true about your cold-start theory, these engines would have no oil pressure at that point. I can assure you mine does.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
cool breeze

Well, filled the filter and crankcase then started it up. Got oil pressure per gauge immediately. I know it wasn't the brightest idea ive ever had but thanks for the help to get me through it.

My above post is not above oil pressure in the crankcase but throughout the entire engine. What engine builders and mechanics have told me is that it takes that long to circulate throughout the ENTIRE motor. Ive sat next to an new engine with the valve covers off and they let it run for over about 45 seconds before shutting it down and i didnt see a drop of oil. So I guess im generalizing a little and saying that engine parts do run dry for short periods of time everyday.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a certified mechanic by any means, this is all experience and common sense Im going off here so give me a break

Quick Reply: Do i need to prime the oil pump now?