3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torsion bar crank, front end alignment

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
DaytonaDakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion bar crank, front end alignment

i just leveled my truck and cranked the tbars a little bit, i need to have my truck aligned but pepboys, firestone, sts and most of the other places around me say they most they can do is set it back to factory settings.

after lifting my truck do i still want factory settings.

any suggestions

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DaytonaDakota
i just leveled my truck and cranked the tbars a little bit, i need to have my truck aligned but pepboys, firestone, sts and most of the other places around me say they most they can do is set it back to factory settings.

after lifting my truck do i still want factory settings.

any suggestions
If they mean by "return to factory settings" they are going to uncrank the bars, They are full of SH**! You need to find somebody else. I cranked my T-Bars and had a alignment done with no problems.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont tell them you cranked the T bars. they wont even beable to tell. I used to have my T bars cranked 2" and they aligned it fine.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
DaytonaDakota
Professional

my biggest concern is will a normal alignment be correct, like even with the cranked tbars

most places say that they will align the truck to whatever the computer says it calls for like factory specs, i dont think theyd touch the tbar adjuster bolts.

what im really wondering is will the cranked bars affect an alignment even if they shop guys think its right

Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DaytonaDakota
my biggest concern is will a normal alignment be correct, like even with the cranked tbars

most places say that they will align the truck to whatever the computer says it calls for like factory specs, i dont think theyd touch the tbar adjuster bolts.

what im really wondering is will the cranked bars affect an alignment even if they shop guys think its right
If the guy knows what he's doing everything will be fine. Dozens of people have cranked the bars and got alignments, Including me and I can tell you my sh** is straight.Like JM said, take it to someone and don't tell them you cranked the bars. Just tell them you want an alignment. It's all good.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, dont explain to them you cranked the torision bars, thats just going to open another can of worms. All they need to know is that you need an alignment.

Just dont go to a Mavis or any other shop that uses the Eagle Eye laser 4 wheel alignment machines, there complete junk.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Stormin264
Professional

I cranked my bars about 1-1/2" the other day just to see what it would be like. The ride was so stiff I couldnt stand it. How do you guys cope with the harsh ride cranking the bars?

If you replace the 'keys', does it give you more of a stock ride than cranking them with the stock keys left in?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Part of an alignment is adjusting the torsion bar, it's an adjustment that effects the geometry of the front end. I'd be honest with the shop that's gonna do the work and talk with the actual mechanic not some freaking parrot, let him know what you want and don't want him to do. Don't forget money talks.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM
rebel61021
Veteran

I replaced the Keys on my truck and it rides just as good as it did with the stock Keys in it and it sitts level and had no problem with getting the front end aligned he even helped me get it level becasue I was off when I took it to him.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Them saying your truck can only be put to factory specs is just that. has nothing to do with not being able to align your truck. if you keep the t-bars cranked, they will simply adjust the caster/camber and toe alignments to factory specs and all will be good. i don't think they can comprehend or put 2 and 2 together seems to be. Factory specs will just put your caster/camber degrees back to stock which is what you want!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torsion bar crank, front end alignment