3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High heat tape or Gasket material

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High heat tape or Gasket material

Alright guys while I was installing the new gauge last week I ran into a bit of a problem with the mounting bracket and the pod (one was off size from the other) so the mounting bracket that came with the gauge would not fit correctly. I ended up cutting the bracket to get it secured and put some electrical tape to "seat" it a little better so it would not rattle and would stay in place. Well after a week of it being in the 110+ weather, the tape is melting and the gauge is starting to slide forward and is getting loose.

Now the gauge manufacturers reccomended just using tape to secure it in place and not bother with the back mounting bracket and I know the idea would work as it was working fine for the first few days with the tape I put on during the install but I need something that wont melt. Any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Even a thin rubber sleave would work, I just dont know where to go look for such a part.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
Even a thin rubber sleave would work, I just dont know where to go look for such a part.
When you say a thin rubber sleeve, do you mean something that the back of the gauge will slide into? I am not sure I follow exactly what you are looking for?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I need something like a collar to slide onto the back of the gauge so when I slide it into the pod it stays in place without having to fab up a new bracket to work with the back screws to hold it in place. Right now the bracket is missing a "leg" (looks more like an "L" than a "[" right now) since it would not fit to hold it in place, I also wrapped the outside of the gauge that goes into the pod hole with electrical tape to give it more of a snug fit. Everything was working great until the tape started melting, now only one half the gauge is holding, the other is slowly sliding out and I have to push it back in place at least once or twice a day.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by truckin151
I need something like a collar to slide onto the back of the gauge so when I slide it into the pod it stays in place without having to fab up a new bracket to work with the back screws to hold it in place. Right now the bracket is missing a "leg" (looks more like an "L" than a "[" right now) since it would not fit to hold it in place, I also wrapped the outside of the gauge that goes into the pod hole with electrical tape to give it more of a snug fit. Everything was working great until the tape started melting, now only one half the gauge is holding, the other is slowly sliding out and I have to push it back in place at least once or twice a day.
Well there are two things I thought of. First, if you go the tape route again you could try using duct tape, but not the cheap stuff they sell at the dollar store. The good stuff that HVAC guys use on heating an cooling systems, that shouldn't melt. The other option and the one I would go with is to buy a piece od metal and make a new bracket to replace the broken one.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well I purposely cut the one side of the bracket off because it was not working, it was essentially going through the small gap between the pod and gauge and popping it out the same way so making another one like the original which didn't have the room to begin with wouldn't work in this situation.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Then in that case I would say try some of that HVAC duct tape. I have used in the past when working on the heating system in my house and it has never peeled or melted.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I was also thinking, depending on thickness, that if I were to cut a bicycle tube to the length I need it may work as well...

Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
mopardad68
Rookie

is there a small collar where the gauge meets the pod face, if you dont plan on removing the gauge what about a very small bead of silicone caulk on the inner gauge collar and setting the gauge then letting silicone set up, dont know if possible but might work, used tht trick to issolate vibration on a 84 ramcharger tach i installed in the dash, redneck as hell but i work and NEVER came loose

Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I dont want to perminately attach it, there are a few plugins on the back side that you have to remove the gauge to get to cause of the lack of room, either that or have a 6yr old do it cause my fingers are to big to do it with th gauge attached.

Quick Reply: High heat tape or Gasket material