3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Help! Ignition switch broke.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
That1guy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Ignition switch broke.

Yeah so on my ram my ignition is screwing up. The last couple days when I turn off the truck the blower for the AC kick back on and blows air out the vents. The dash switch works fine I can control the speeds and turn it off. So when the truck is in the run position everything is good. Turn the key to off, everything turns off. Turn it the last turn to pull the key out and the blower kick on. I've figured it out if I pull the key out a little and turn the key back towards the acc position then it shut off. It's weird because it's the onlything getting power without the key in it.

So I assume my key switch is broke. Can I fix it? How much would a shop charge? Thanks for the help.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

PM me to remind me and I will send you the info out of AllData to tell you what all you need to do to do it yourself. Ive dont them in older cars but not a Ram.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM
reefguy89
Captain

it is really easy. All you have to do is take the 3 screws (You can use a alan key)out of the steering column cover. Next if you have tilt steering you need to take the a few screws out of the assembly to move it out of the way. Then disconnect the wire harness plug. Unscrew the ignition switch and pull it out. THen put everything back on. Just follow the same order just backwards. You can get the part a advance autoparts or autozone for like $25 bucks. This is what the plug looks like. Also while there look for burnt wires.
Name:  dod3.jpg
Views: 5381
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well there you have it........Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Ok sweet it seems pretty easy. What part do I have them look up? Just ask an ignition switch? Will I be able to still use my factory key?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Go to www.autozone.com and enter your trucks info. I would have done it for you but you dont have listed what year your truck is. From there go to the ignition parts and in there you will find the switch. The older cars replaced the cylinder and all and came with new keys. IDK how the new ones work. You will have to take your out and take it with you to AZ and compare it to the new one to make sure it all matches up.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Ok I figured it out. My truck is a 02 BTW.

So napa has a switch for 23 dollars and it appear to only replace the switch itself and not key part. So I think I have it figured out. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Yeah so advance is completely sold out and has no clue how to get more.

NAPA has one for 23 dollars 45 minutes away.

Called the dealer for fun and theirs was only 29 dollars. So I decided to go with a factory part. Turns out its on major back order, as in 3000 some. They found 26 of them in the dealers system but those who have them wont sell them. Yeah so only 26 of these exsist in the entire united states and according to chrysler they dont plan to ship any soon. Awesome!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
reefguy89
Captain

yea these ignition switches really suck. I would take the 45 min drive to get one cause my company just got one (from autozone) for my work van they where going to get it from the dealer ship but they where on back order. So 45 min to get one is not bad comparred to monthes of waiting. I would call and see if they can hold it.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM
That1guy
Veteran

Okay so I got the new switch installed. Took me a few minutes to figure out how the key cylinder poped out. The whole thing was in my haynes book.

I got it in and it turns out the part that was in there was the exact same part from napa. Like the same brand. Even the stickers were a prefect match. I was confused because usually factory parts have chrysler stuff on it.

Anyways it's all fixed and working good now. It was a 10 minute job. Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Ignition switch broke.