3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where To Start>?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
mikeall08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Start>?

Alright so as you could guess I'm new to DF but I'm also new to dodge, picked up my 06 Dodge 1500 v6 3.7 about a month ago and I'm loving it. I'm stationed in hawaii right now and every parking stall here is way to small for my old truck. so I sold it and picked this up.

My question is where should i start i like the truck but as i read on here you all agree with me its no powerhouse. i knew this buying the truck but I still want more as we all do...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

1) intake exhaust
2) brain box
3) weight managing drivetrain
4) re-gear

Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to dodge forum. Well there a quite a few things you can do to up the performance/power, I've done quite a few and they're listed in my sig.

Lots of people like to start w/ the cold air intake and you can get a mopar/AEM knockoff like the one I have for $70-80 under names like velocity, kool vue, or bombz. They are listed for the 4.7, but should have no issues mounting up to your truck since the 3.7 is the same minus 2 cylinders.

The only performance tuning options are the Jet chip which gets mixed reviews and the B&G tune. The B&G costs more and since no one has it on the 3.7 we have no impressions on it.

Exhaust is another option and the best way to go seems to get rid of the stock y-pipe and replace the muffler w/ an aftermarket one that flows better.

Those are the 3 things a lot of people do and after that there are things like an electric fan conversion, ported throttle body, shorty headers from jba, underdrive pulley, and regearing (which will cost the most). Look/search through the threads in this section for info from guys who have done the mods and their impressions.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Dodge_cowboy2004
Veteran

bud...welcome. I will try my best to help ya along.