3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Suspension - No springs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 AM
SARRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Suspension - No springs??

Hey All,

Poking around under the front end and I noticed no coil springs on the front end of my 2004 Ram 1500. I always chalked this up to it being a 1/2 ton and not a HD but our work trucks, most 1500s a 2007/2008 and 2009 all have coil springs. Is the 2004 system much weaker because of this? Suspensions systems available to add in coil springs? If you get a lift...say 3" would this likely include springs? Wondering if anyone has played around with this much. Any advice, or experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got torsion bars which means no springs.
they put coil springs in the later models...
with t-bars you have a free level... just crank 'em up
not sure about strength... ive never had a problem but i bet someone on here knows why they changed to coil springs

make sure to use the search function and check the FAQ's before posting if you want to stay alive on this forum

and welcome to DF!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
That1guy
Veteran

I think the 2wd's use coils. You cant change out to coils because the cv axle goes right through where the coils would sit. Later they were able to move the coilovers (shock and coil together) to fit them both in the same spot.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

the torsion bar system is great, and is no weaker than a coil setup, may actually be stronger. reason to go to coils is ride comfort. don't worry about the torsion bar being weak at all. 3" lift will NOT need/come with new torsion bars.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They redesigned the front suspensions in 06, that's why 02-05 2wd only have coils. Torsions bars are a form of spring, every rwd mopar from the 50's into the 80's had them (i.e., my Dart, Duster, Charger, Road Runner and Monaco, just different sizes) and they work just fine.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
They redesigned the front suspensions in 06, that's why 02-05 2wd only have coils. Torsions bars are a form of spring, every rwd mopar from the 50's into the 80's had them (i.e., my Dart, Duster, Charger, Road Runner and Monaco, just different sizes) and they work just fine.
Mind you they used t-bars in the rear because they were stronger and resisted the roll of the rear axel under the emense power of some of these cars. Even to this day you find people converting from rear springs to torsion bars in alot of muscle cars.

Basically a torsion bar is a metal bar that returns to form after being flexed. In fact a spring is a form of torsion bar, Just the ones in are trucks take different shape. instead of a coil, they are generally straight.

If you want to see a really good example of a torsion bar, Look at those flex frames on eye glasses and imagine that scaled up a bit.

Last edited by 05RamMan; 08-11-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 AM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only drawback to torsion bars is that the stationary end of them is usually set up under the middle of the truck and attached to the frame/cross member therefore when you install bracket style lifts they drop this whole assembly and you dont gain any real ground clearance under the frame...

But as mentioned above they are probably the toughest kind of IFS set up known to man.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 AM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by PETE_YK
But as mentioned above they are probably the toughest kind of IFS set up known to man.
Well, There is a four link suspension which is Stronger, however, it also cost bit more. Mainly used for tough offroading vehicles.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by 05RamMan
Well, There is a four link suspension which is Stronger, however, it also cost bit more. Mainly used for tough offroading vehicles.
Really? pics? Wait, are you still talking IFS? And torsion bars are not "Like" a spring, they "Are" a spring. As far as muscle cars and rear torsion suspension I haven't seen that. Only 60's car I know about with rear torsions would be you Porsche's and VW's.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Really? pics? Wait, are you still talking IFS? And torsion bars are not "Like" a spring, they "Are" a spring. As far as muscle cars and rear torsion suspension I haven't seen that. Only 60's car I know about with rear torsions would be you Porsche's and VW's.
Yes a Multilink suspension is considered independent. As far as front, what can be done in the rear can be done in the front and vice versa. Also, I really shouldn't have brought up the multilink, as, they use coil or coil overs.

As far as "Like" goes, Where did you get that?

Yes indeed, many "custom" muscle cars use a torsion bar system because it is cheap and very strong on top of leaving lots of space. Pretty much all the factory released cars don't. Goto the track or a car show sometime, You will see them alot.

Quick Reply: Front End Suspension - No springs??