3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Detail Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail Gone Bad

Last week I had my truck detailed because I had just removed all of the badges, and still had a lot of residue left over, plus I also wanted to get my first official detail for the Ram. Of course when I picked it up, it was just beginning to rain, so of course the truck looked like pure glass. Quite frankly, we've had an unusual amount of rain and cool weather up until this point, so my truck hardly has gotten washed, and it's just always wet around here lol. Even when it's nice out, it's not worth washing it because it rains the next damn day. Anyways, we've gotten two nice days in a row, so I've had my first chance to look the truck over. The other night when I was doing a dump run with my brother, he had the headlights on my truck as I was reversing, and apparently he said my truck was covered with damn buff marks. The whole truck just has that whole nebulous cloud of wax all over it equipped with buff marks from the electric buffer....paid $120 damn dollars too. So now I got to get this damn thing detailed again to get rid of the buff marks and cloudy look...blahh.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
Last week I had my truck detailed because I had just removed all of the badges, and still had a lot of residue left over, plus I also wanted to get my first official detail for the Ram. Of course when I picked it up, it was just beginning to rain, so of course the truck looked like pure glass. Quite frankly, we've had an unusual amount of rain and cool weather up until this point, so my truck hardly has gotten washed, and it's just always wet around here lol. Even when it's nice out, it's not worth washing it because it rains the next damn day. Anyways, we've gotten two nice days in a row, so I've had my first chance to look the truck over. The other night when I was doing a dump run with my brother, he had the headlights on my truck as I was reversing, and apparently he said my truck was covered with damn buff marks. The whole truck just has that whole nebulous cloud of wax all over it equipped with buff marks from the electric buffer....paid $120 damn dollars too. So now I got to get this damn thing detailed again to get rid of the buff marks and cloudy look...blahh.
I would take it back to the guy that did it and tell him to get it right! Ain't no sense in paying good money to get a half a** job!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Black paint is very difficult to get buffed correctly. If you really love your truck (as I'm sure you do) invest the $120 in a buffer and pads and do it yourself. Never let these half wits touch your truck again. By buffing too hard or too deep that moron could eat through your clear. They are more interested in a quick turn around, than a job well done. You wont see it now, but in a year or two, you could start to see the clear burning off. It always looks great when you pick it up because of the wax, but when the wax comes off, that's when you see the mistakes. I have a 13 year old paint job, and have never had it professionally detailed for that reason.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1 i do all my stuff myself

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree guys. I'm not sure why I always tend to pay people to detail my truck, I always seem to be disappointed. I really don't even feel like bringing it back there either. They did this to my brother's truck once, and they blamed it on his "maaco" paint job. I'm not exactly positive as to why I brought my business back there....damn shame.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Ben D.
Champion

i woudln't take it back to him. if he buffs ****ty enough to leave that kind of marks everywhere that's not good to give him second chance.... too many times he'll just burn through the clear and ur really f'ed

Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of black paint!!! My last truck was black, beautiful when clean, but a PITA to keep it that way!! Never again.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 AM
bigmiah22
Veteran

i say go back and beat his ***! :P

Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are good detailers out there, unfortunately they are often hard to find. I would recommend asking around, if there are any autoparts stores that you trust and have done right by you ask them if they know anyone. For anyone you find ask for references, call them and ask detailed questions that they're not likely to have pre-made-up answers for. Odds are you can find a good detailer in your area that takes pride in their work, unfortunately it's harder than it should be. I had mine detailed recently and they did a very good job on it, now that I'm happy with the detailing job they've done I may pay the same shop to tint my truck.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigmiah22
i say go back and beat his ***! :P
Yeah thats sorta what I ment. No he wouldn't touch my truck again but he wouldn't sit around all happy with my 120.00 either! Every customer that goes to this ***** and leaves like you did just lets him continue screwing people. It's like someone said, all he cares about is turn around not quality. If one or two people would go up there and TURN HIM AROUND and put their foot up his a** he would think twice about the next automobile that he did.

Quick Reply: Detail Gone Bad