DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Changing bulbs out (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/212127-changing-bulbs-out.html)

truckin151 08-27-2009 10:45 AM

Changing bulbs out

Well for the past few weeks my "Lamp Out" light has popped up on my dash and just as fast goes out. Well for the last week now it has been coming up more frequently but whenever I park where I can check all the lights they would be working fine, All brake lights, turn signals (front and back), reverse lights, head lights (highs and lows) and fog lights all worked fine, another thing that was odd was as soon as that warning came up if I were to turn on my left turn signal it would go away and stay off for while. Well coming to work today and the light was on the whole way, pulled into the office parking lot to check the lights and my left hand turn signal is out finally died.

So, can I simply unplug the light and put in a new one? OR.... Do I have to pull the whole light assembly out to replace one bulb? Never had to change the bulbs out on this truck.

nim81 08-27-2009 11:27 AM

if you can reach in behind the housing and get it out more power to ya.
i would think id be easier to pull the housing, only has 3 bolts takes maybe 2 minutes max.

truckin151 08-27-2009 11:47 AM

Damn I was hoping I didn't have to worry about removing the housing.

xfeejayx 08-27-2009 01:16 PM

that driver side light really is a pain in the ass. pulling that housing isn't so bad though. get yourself a 1/4 drive 10mm socket and about 9 inches worth of extension. should be able to take it out in a couple minutes.

hemipower05 08-27-2009 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by xfeejayx (Post 1783592)
that driver side light really is a pain in the ass. pulling that housing isn't so bad though. get yourself a 1/4 drive 10mm socket and about 9 inches worth of extension. should be able to take it out in a couple minutes.

ya man just pull the housing out. its not hard at all open your hood and theres 2 bolts and the third is inbetween the bottom of the light and the bumper. if u try and replace it with your housing still attached, have fun with that. absolutely zero space to work and im definately not a fan of trying to do work in zero space lol. jus like feejay said it will only take a few extra minutes

cheapbeater 08-27-2009 01:42 PM

if you really dont want to pull the headlight, try getting at it from underneath the truck. i changed my drivers side headlight bulb without removing the headlight... i just climbed under the truck, and it was pretty easy to get at the bulb. im not sure if the turn signal can be accessed from underneath tho...

truckin151 08-27-2009 01:55 PM

I'll have to take a look at it tonight, its not that I dont believe you guys, but I really dont want to have to remove the whole light to take the bulb out if possible.

What size bulb does it take for the replacement? My plan was just to pull it and run down to the store to match one up but if I have to take the whole head light off I want to pick it up before I rip it a part.

SilverBullet08 08-27-2009 01:57 PM

it will take all but 5 minutes to take the housing out. its too much of a pain not too

cheapbeater 08-27-2009 02:49 PM

the number is 4157nak. or at least thats the number thats on the black strip on the bulb

truckin151 08-27-2009 02:53 PM

And that is for the turn signal right.