DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Good Truck for New Driver? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/215621-good-truck-for-new-driver.html)

Phenomenon 09-28-2009 02:16 AM

Good Truck for New Driver?

Okay, first of all I'm a new member to this site, my name is Regan. I'm almost 17 years old and I've had my license for a couple of months now, I figured it's time to start looking for my first vehicle, more or less a truck. I'd consider myself an above average driver, I've been driving a couple years now without any problems and for a couple months now without a supervisor or parent. I got my license the first try with no mistakes in a bigger vehicle, I've driven a truck before so it won't be a big problem handling the vehicle.

Recently I've been looking at cars (sporty coupes) but I've recently started driving my parents truck and I enjoyed driving it a lot. Now I've been looking into trucks and at the moment the only ones that catch my eye are the Dodge Ram 1500 and 2500's and also the Ford F-150's and F-250's. If I get a truck my parents will be paying for half of it and I'll be paying for the other half working a part time job. Anyways I've got a couple of questions about the Dodge Ram, I hope you guys can answer them.

- What model is better for a teenage driver, the 1500 or 2500?
- What are the main differences between them?
- What engine is better for a teenage driver, the 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins Diesel?
- How nice is the cabin in these two models, how is the noise level from both engines?
- How much should I look at paying for a 1999 to 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 or 2500? How much mileage is too much to consider purchasing the truck?
- How hard is it to handle a truck with a lift kit or bigger tires?
- Do these trucks get stuck in the snow or off roading often, with snow tires or bigger tires of them? I live in Canada, it can snow pretty hard.

Now, how can I convince my parents to let me get a truck? How's the safety ratings on this truck and how does it compare to other vehicles? What are some key points to mention when asking my parents?

I know it's a lot of writing guys, I'm sorry for that. I hope you can answer all my questions and welcome me as a member (sorry if I posted this in the wrong section :icon_emm:). Thanks a lot, Regan.

irelandshemi 09-28-2009 02:34 AM

1500 works for me just fine, i have the 5.7 hemi and love it, not a whole lotta noise and the cabins are nice in mine not sure on the 2500 tho i think there the same if not almost the same, thats a big jump from years for prices, i see the 2007's around me going for 18k and the 04s going for around 11, i have 125k miles on my truck with no problems but i wouldnt purchase a car with that many miles, trucks are just safer feeling and tell them its gunna be a lot better for bad conditions and would they want to risk there son in a small honda when you can have a nice safe dodge
and as far as the snow goes you can get through it if its capable, its not like your gunna be plowing through ten feet but it handles just fine in what i get in northern michigan

Phenomenon 09-28-2009 02:46 AM

Is there a huge difference between the 5.7L Hemi and the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel for gas mileage? I'd like a truck that has decent gas mileage and won't have to fill the truck back up after leaving the gas station and driving for two blocks.

Hahns5.2 09-28-2009 02:51 AM

The new 6.7s get awful mileage because of all of the emissions crap. A 6.7 won't be in any 99-06 dodge either. A 5.9 Cummins will typically spank Hemi mileage by 2-5MPG depending on the circumstances.

Phenomenon 09-28-2009 02:54 AM

About how much older? I'd like a newer truck, older ones tend to have too high of mileage, I also like the look of the newer ones much better.

Laramie1997 09-28-2009 02:56 AM

I would say only get a 2500 if you actually plan on using it to its full capability. I know how bad a 1500 is on a teenage driver, and going to a 2500 is going to hurt your wallet a lot more when you look at insurance and property tax. I don't know about other areas, but around here, it is actually cheaper for me to be listed under a 1994 F-350 dually Ford rather than my Dodge. I know that contradicts what I've said, but 90% of the time, a 2500 and up is going to cost more in the long run.

Now, I don't keep up that much on 3rd gen retail market, but you are also asking about 2nd generation prices in there as well. For a truck that is between 1999 and 2001, Pay no more than 7500 (USD).

While I will say that Dodges are a great truck to have, you need to factor in repair costs. It is a fact of owning a vehicle, no matter what make or model.
Here are some common issues relevant to 2nd generation rams:
1. Tranny failure- Mainly caused by the use of cheap parts, and the installation of a check ball to keep the torque converter filled with fluid while the motor is either not running or in park. That check ball, over time, will collect grime and dirt and eventually stick shut. Normally, that check ball is the cause of tranny failure. When the ball closes, there is no fluid flow, so the collected fluid will heat up and the whole transmission becomes a ticking time bomb.

2. Plenum gasket- Bottom of the intake manifold. The mani is made of aluminum, and the belly pan is made of steel. The difference in the two metals allows them to expand and contract at different rates. This results in the gasket being pressed out at the sides and causes loss of MPGs, power loss, clogged catalytic converter, and random cylinder misfires. The easy fix is to replace the belly pan with an aluminum one along with a new gasket.

3. Stock LSD differential- poor design.
4. Ball joints- Factory sealed lifetime maintenance free.... LOL Wrong. They fail because you can't grease them every now and then.

There are other little details as well, but this is just the highlights.

I don't want to scare you away from Dodge, but rather educate you in what you are fixing to buy into. Don't read all this and think," damn, Dodge sucks!” You'd be wrong. Every vehicle manufacturer has issues of some kind. Trust me, Dodge isn't the only truck maker that has had transmission issues.

Welcome to DF BTW.:)

WWJD 09-28-2009 03:08 AM

Welcome. I am a very new member as well and you will find out that there is a lot of information here for most things. Search function and f3 button are great. Now to your questions I will give you some of my opinions. Take them for what they are worth.
- What model is better for a teenage driver, the 1500 or 2500?
Probably the 1500 for two reasons. The bigger the truck the bigger the bills.Secondly, unless you need a bigger truck for work or anything else consider the unneeded waste.
- What are the main differences between them?
1500=1/2 ton 2500=3/4 ton
- What engine is better for a teenage driver, the 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins Diesel?
This goes back to how much money you want to invest and if you have to tow anything. The 1500 rams also have a 3.7 v6 and a under rated 4.7 v8
- How nice is the cabin in these two models, how is the noise level from both engines?
The cabin was one of the selling points for me. Super roomy(i'm 6'4) and has very usable controls and plenty of storage. For a pick up the rams are very quiet inside. My 4.7, my uncles 5.7 and my buddies cummings are all above average for noise. This is compared to other trucks mind you. I think chevy and gmc are the most quiet but lack the coazy cabin for bigger people.
- How much should I look at paying for a 1999 to 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 or 2500? How much mileage is too much to consider purchasing the truck?
I bought a 2002 4x4 slt single cab w/ 127000 miles for 5000 us dollars. Pretty good deal. Search around on autotrader and check with kbb.com to get an idea. If you buy from a dealer you should check this out "http://genxfinance.com/2007/06/12/10-tips-for-dealing-with-car-salesmen-to-make-sure-you-dont-get-hosed/" .....Miles are up to you. I am satisfied with my higher milage truck. Consider how well the vehicle is maintained and if it rides, drives, functions properly. Cosmetic flaws can give you an indication as to how well it was maintained. See if all for valve stem caps are on the truck. A maintained vehicle will nearly always have all four caps on the tires.
- How hard is it the handle a truck with a lift kit or bigger tires?
You have a higher center of gravity. It will not be a speed racer, you will lose MPG/KPG.
- Do these trucks get stuck in the snow or off roading often, with snow
Any truck can get stuck with ease. In my opinion the single cab trucks manuver much better off road. If you need 4x4 get it.

Phenomenon 09-28-2009 03:10 AM

I probably should of mentioned this but like I said for those of you who don't know I live in Canada, Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan has the cheapest insurance in all of Canada, if not the world. I looked at 2002 4WD Diesel Dodge Ram 2500's right now, it would cost me $76.90 a month to insure it and register it. Pretty cheap? Oddly enough if I put myself in a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel 4WD Dually MEGA CAB it's still only going cost me $74.90... which is odd. The reason everything is so cheap is because SGI (only insurance company in Saskatchewan) insures absolutely everything, including houses. There a multi million dollar insurance company. They fail almost all new drivers trying to get their license, and have a real hard program. We have to drive for a year before we can even go apply for our license.

WWJD 09-28-2009 03:16 AM

Also think of getting a less flashy color. Will get noticed less by cops and jealous D-bags.

Phenomenon 09-28-2009 03:22 AM

Less flashy as in what colors? I'm looking at black, red or white.