3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram Front End or Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM
ben_beyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram Front End or Brake Problem

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram and I'm having funny issues with the front end or the brakes.

My pick up is a Crew Cab 4x4 short bed with the SLT package and the 4.7L V8. I only drive it on the weekends because my employer provides a vehicle for me to use to go back and forth to work. I noticed in the winter that my front end was shaking when coming to a stop, but it didn't always do it so I thought it was the road. I still get this, but now my steering wheel kind of turns side to side while braking. However, it doesn't always do this. It's mostly after the truck has been sitting.

Recently, the right front side will shake while I'm accelerating and it's tied to the motor because it goes away when it shifts and then can come back. After driving for a minute, it won't do it anymore until the truck has been sitting.

It has 77K miles on it and I had to replace the upper ball joint on the right side at 47K miles. I had hit a good sized chunk of concrete about the 6 inches x 6 inches that fell off the back of a trailer and tried to veer but still hit it.

Any idea if it's a front end or brake problem? From what I've read it could be either or and I can't find anything definitive.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM
go-part
Former Vendor
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 PM
ben_beyer

I decided not to fix it and traded it in on a new truck. This one had given me troubles even early on and luckily the warranty fixed most of it. However, I wasn't sure if it was going to go another 80K miles without major repairs and GMC (yes I bought a Sierra) had some great rebates on the 13's plus the dealer was offering a lifetime powertrain warranty. They offered me close to the blue book for my Ram and I got a great interest rate. I hated to let the truck go but my wife and I decided this was probably the best route long term.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram Front End or Brake Problem