3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice guys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
ask nick at airram, he will tell u what you need engine wise...
http://www.airram.com/
yea me and nick have become buddies here lately lol

Old 10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol what are you thinking about engine wise? the 08 intake, cam,etc?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by Pyro
The 4.7 is a tougher motor than most give it credit for, with 4.88s it'll hold up. It won't be fast. The only thing you're gonna have to worry about is the front suspension holding up, the lift components are usually much heavier than necessary and should be fine. Your powersteering is another story, you can put the SRT10's powersteering rack and pump on a 1500, it'll bolt right up and is designed to handle more abuse.
the lift kit is tough! and yea its very heavy. its a complete 7" pro comp lift for the 2wds (dont think procomp makes it anymore, but i was able to snag one). it keeps the suspension geometry same as stock, so i have no worries about the lift kit, just the unsprung weight vs available torque and the lack of 4.7 mods out there to increase torque without forced induction. the power steering hadnt even crossed my mind though

Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Engine wise I think you'll be alright, but everything else is where I think you'll end up with the most issues and problems specially stopping and turning.

I gues what I would be questioning the most would be why do you want to do this to the truck you have now when your wife basically said you can get something that will be able to handle the mods you are wanting to put on now later on and you can afford to do so?

I mean there is no problem with putting the lift and everything on the truck now as long as everything from the ground to the frame was upgraded. To me, that seems like a lot of $$$ to be throwing at it specially when its something that may or may not work out right.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i think it will hold up just fine you just might be replacing a few things later down the road stupid stuff like bushings and ball joints but thats with any lifted truck i say go for it...the 4:88 should make it go fine for a 100 mile a week you should be golden......

Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
lol what are you thinking about engine wise? the 08 intake, cam,etc?
well i ordered the jet scoop already, and yeah was thinking of the 08 intake swap with a 72mm TB and a CAI. cam swap is something ive been thinking about as well but there aren't alot of options out there for those. thats about as much as i can do for induction without a stroker kit or major engine rebuilding. but if i was gonna do all that i'd just trade the 4.7 in for a hemi and start the mods from there. really dont want to open the motor. ive done that before on other vehicles and it never runs the same

Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
V10Venom
Captain

If you can honestly afford it, do it! For the short trips though that you do, just get the hemi instead. But since you already have all the stuff to do it, I would just install it and get a d.d. if anything? Do you want to go fast at all or just look good? The 4.7 will be slow starting and slow stopping with that setup, but I think the 4.88 gears will pull it along nicely. I had 3.92's with my 4.7 and 35" tires. I would think the 4.88 gears will be a ton better.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:58 PM
TexasRam01
Rookie

I think the engine will have no problem, I think your transmission is going to give you hell though... even with the new gears. Especially with those big heavy @$$ wheels. If it were me, I'd probably drop back down to a nice 20" or a 22" max and a 35" tire. Have always heard a rule of thumb, unles you want to completely re-do your suspension / axles, dont go over a 35" on a 1/2 ton. Either way, you may want to think about a brake / rotor upgrade if your gonna run 38's on 24's. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

Ill tell you right now, Your engine is TOO small for a lift and tires like that, my hemi is way too small also. GAs milage will really suck. Even a diesel can handle it but that big of a truck is unpractical. Dont get me wrong it would look good, but just way overkill. I would keep the wheels, buy some low profile street tires and then drop that thing. That way the engine mods will be VERY noticable. My uncle had a hemi megacab lifted 6" with 35" tires and that thing was a dog. It couldn't even handle its own weight. Thats my opinion, but its your truck. It just sucks when you regret buying something haha. all of us have done that.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
V10Venom
Captain

The 4.7 will be fine, it's the transmission. But why not just get a Sheradon Stage III trans and call it a day? The 2500 trans is the same unless you get the CTD.

Quick Reply: need some advice guys...