3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end / wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM
HEMI_NOOB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end / wheel noise

Post #1 from a noob to this forum....

I just bought a 2003 Ram witht he 5.7 Hemi. On my initial test drive I noticed a "hum" / vibration that I could feel in the floor board but not so much in the steering wheel.

It starts at around 25mph and peaks at around 40 mph. Below 25 and above 50, it's not very noticable.

It does not make the noise or vibrate when I turn right....only when going straight or turning left. The "used truck" manager said he believed it was a wheel bearing or hub assembly and they'd replace it in service.

Went thru with purchase and took it back 2 days later after they said the parts had arrived.....dropped it off last night.

Was suppose to be done by 5pm. Picked it up at 8pm because they called and told me it wouldn't be ready until then. They closed at 8pm so I drove it home.

Not only does it still make the same hum noise and vibration, it now pulls to the right fairly significantly.

I noticed the rotated the tires. The tires are goodyear HP's....276/60-20 all the way around.

Any ideas? Not a "gear head" and only know enough to make myself look stupid and am not afraid to admit that. =)

Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 AM
HEMI_NOOB

bump.....anyone?

Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM
irelandshemi
All Star

are the tires new? i know when i had one on mine that was a little chopped up they hummed but pretty much at any speed, is the humming comming from the drivers side, and jack it up and wiggle the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and see if theres any play in it

Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
HEMI_NOOB

Originally Posted by irelandshemi
are the tires new? i know when i had one on mine that was a little chopped up they hummed but pretty much at any speed, is the humming comming from the drivers side, and jack it up and wiggle the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and see if theres any play in it
Hard to tell exactly which side it's coming from but I think it's the passenger side. Tires are not new. Tires on front have probably 75% of tread and rear tires are probably less than 50%. Dealer rotated the tires and now the more worn pair are on the front.

Nothing changed. Noise is still the same.

Dropped the truck off at the dealer tonight, will talk to them tomorrow. Will put it on a jack to see if there is any play when I get it back.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 PM
02WhiteRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perhaps they replaced the wrong wheel bearing. Also since they rotated the tires and its now pulling more than likely you have a "tire pull." Try rotating the front tires side side (L/F on R/F and R/F on L/F) and see if it pulls the other way. If it does then there is your problem..... buy some new tires.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 PM
02WhiteRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if it only does it when going straight and turning left they more than likely should have replaced the right front wheel bearing.... is that the one they replaced?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
HEMI_NOOB

First they said the replace the wheel bearing, then they said the replaced the hub. Maybe it's the same thing....I dunno.

Whatever they replaced, it was on the right side. Doing the drivers side today. I may just have them rotate the tires back.

I would rather have the better tread on the front for fear of losing grip on rainy or slushy roads.

I just hope it's fixed. Said they may get done with it tonight.....I hope it's tomorrow so they won't rush anything.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
draco8494
Captain

yeah if they replaced the hub its the bearings too, most of the newer trucks have non serviceable wheel bearings meaning you have to replace the whole hub assembly...

Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Take it back to them and tell them to change the bearings on the other side.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 PM
cordaco
Rookie

Try aligning the truck. And check your brakes, they may be sticking and thats humm you hear.

Check for heat and diferent temperatures between sides.

Quick Reply: Front end / wheel noise