3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Cupholder Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant....just brilliant

Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Ironsleeve318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks freaking awesome!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
butch1581
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Your killing me bud. I'm into a Light frenzy here.
First I did my HID retro-fit. Then I added HID's to my fogs. Now I'm in the middle of adding twin 55w reverse lights to come on Only when the lights are on(requires 2 relays). Also, I'm in the middle of adding LED's to under the hood since I have no underhood light.
Now i must add some cupholder LED's because i like to see and that is one spot that I cannot when driving. I usually have to hit the overhead light to see anything.

My questions. WHat is the intensity. Usually measured in MCD. Also what size did you use 3mm or 5mm??? Just trying to get a light that will be not terribly bright. I actually want to do a single one.

Also, I see you have 3. Did you install a resistor inline? If not you will eventually burn up those LEDs as there is too much power given to just 3. If you used 4, then you could get away with no resistor as long as they were 3.0-3.2v leds.3.2x4=12.8v so you may have a slight dim in the LEDs when the truck is not running, but it would be neglegible.
3 LEDS lets say draw 20mA each would require a 210ohm resistor. 25mA=160ohm 30mA=130ohm

If you didn't use a resistor, the LEDS may have only half their life left which is still like 20-30,000hours...lol
It's just that any voltage kickback when you turn the keys off will jump into the LEDS and it creates corrosion and arching at the cathode terminal on the leds which significantly reduces life. You may get a few months outta them or they might last 10years???

As far as powerring them up, I would tie them into the dimmer line for the radio. This way the only light up when you have the lights on and they will dim along with the rest of the dash lights.
The LEDs have a built in resistor and a Luminous intensity of 100mcd. They are defenitly not too bright even with 3 of them. It looks like "mood lighting" if you will.

Mine are on day or night as soon as the truck is in the "on" or "acc postiion.

I think the harness for the 04 is different. I have it circled in my pic (06) I think that is the right harness anyway, not sure. Probably have to break out the multimeter.

I wanted mine full brightness separate from the dimming dash lights. The lights for the cupholders don't affect your eyes while driving at all.

As I mentioned before you could wire them through a switch to shut them off when the cupholder is closed. You could do this with a manual switch or an automatic switch like a magnetic door contact:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50...c_Contact.html

or a tilt switch as Dirtydog mentioned

Last edited by butch1581; 11-09-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
butch1581
Captain

Oh yeah wait till you see my "Tailgate Indicator Light"

Old 11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

Man that looks awesome, the green LED's look great. I have a flip up screen that provides enough light for me so the spitter never misses

Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
sharkhunter10
Captain

just finished mine!!! LOOKS SWEET! Did the same Process and same lights just red but tied mine into the cigarette lighter because it come on in the ACC position and off when you turn the key off!! LOVE THEM! Great idea butch!
Name:  DSC_0187.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  85.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0194.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
jerzey111
Professional

ha you read my mind, cupholder lights was going to by my weekend project but never got around to do it. i was thinking one led right in the middle but now im thinking two...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this thread will a mod please put this in the DIY for later
I plan on hooking up neon strips under the seats front and rear for visibility just havent had time to mess with it and will run off of a switch to turn on and off

Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
butch1581
Captain

sharkhunter:

are those the same LEDs from Radio Shack? they look nice and bright, brighter than mine. Looks sweet man! The red matches the truck.

I was going with the green to try and match the interior lighting of the truck, but the red looks nice.

I am glad there is such a huge intrest in this, I had no idea. I used the same LED for my MDS indicator light a while back and it just sparked the idea the other night. Thanks for the feedback guys. I have taken so many ideas from this place, its nice to give one back finally.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 AM
sharkhunter10
Captain

Originally Posted by butch1581
sharkhunter:

are those the same LEDs from Radio Shack? they look nice and bright, brighter than mine. Looks sweet man! The red matches the truck.

I was going with the green to try and match the interior lighting of the truck, but the red looks nice.

I am glad there is such a huge intrest in this, I had no idea. I used the same LED for my MDS indicator light a while back and it just sparked the idea the other night. Thanks for the feedback guys. I have taken so many ideas from this place, its nice to give one back finally.
Yes they are the same ones just in red!

Quick Reply: DIY Cupholder Lights