3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling/Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling/Ticking

So, as of recently my '03 Ram wit the Hemi has been stalling on me...It only seems to do it occasionally, when I'm braking hard or coming to a stop. Not only that, but it also seems like it does it more often when the truck is up to temp. I've been searching and have noticed others have had similar problems but it wound up being an EGR valve or IAC...my truck has neither? Could I possibly need a re-flash?
I also have an obnoxious tick (that started after I had the trans serviced (30k service)) constantly as I'm driving...almost sounds like hot oil dripping into the pan to cool...Could I possibly have a had valve spring which is causing all of my problems? I'm curious because as of recent my exhaust has gotten much much louder and from what I can see (quick glance underneath) there doesn't appear to be any holes in the exhaust piping.
Thanks for reading my wall o' text....any insight would be much appreciated

Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ticking sounds like an exhaust leak at the head. Broken manifold studs.

Try cleaning the throttlebody. If there is build-up, the blade may stick closed and cause it to stall.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
MeTaL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I just took the TB off yesterday and cleaned it...wasn't too dirty. Also, I have headers and a new Y-pipe sitting the in the garage, just have to finish gathering the rest of the exhaust so I can put it all together lol.