3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad shocks at 47,000 mi?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Jeff d
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad shocks at 47,000 mi?

I just bought an '04 1500 Hemi QC w/47,000 mi as you may already know from my other n00b threads on here.

This is my first full size truck but it seems to shudder (for lack of a better term) when I hit medium to large bumps in the road. There's no bouncy ride or anything but after I hit anything other than a really small bump it resonates through the truck if that makes any sense.

For comparison my dad's '06 Chevy 1500 extended cab with 80k does the exact same thing. So, either we both have worn shocks (Or some other problem) or I just need to get used to how a 1/2 ton rides.

Could it be that the shocks are already worn out after 47k? I suppose it was mostly city mileage given the age vs. mileage. Are there any other common failures that could cause this?

BTW does everyone really run 35 psi with the 20" rims? That could also be part of the problem. I've been considering running a lower pressure but I really don't want to prematurely wear a new $900 set of tires.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If those are the OEM tires on your truck and you have 46k then you did something better than most of us. Shocks are no different.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Jeff d
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
If those are the OEM tires on your truck and you have 46k then you did something better than most of us. Shocks are no different.
No, the tires have about 5k on them.

I have no reason to believe that the shocks have been replaced. Am I understanding you correctly that it's typical to have to replace the shocks at or before 47,000 miles?

I've always had compact pickups and a Jeep. I did replace shocks on the Jeep due to adding a suspension lift but aside from that I have never had to replace shocks as a maintenance item and I've driven all 3 of my vehicles to about 110,000 miles.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Jeff d
Rookie

Also, if it's time to replace these shocks what's recommended for a 2wd? I don't need anything fancy but I will be towing 5,000 lbs regularly and would like a nice ride without breaking the bank.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

Sounds to me like typical truck shudder. If you don't want to feel bumps in the road then you are driving the wrong type of vehicle. With that being said, replacing shocks would be a good thing to do at 47k. I myself am about to replace mine and am probably going to go with the Monroe Reflex shocks. Billstein, Monroe, and Rancho are the most commonly used ones on the board if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Jeff d
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nothin'_but_trucks
Sounds to me like typical truck shudder. If you don't want to feel bumps in the road then you are driving the wrong type of vehicle...
Ok, it doesn't bother me. I just wanted to make sure it's not a problem that would lead to other problems such as accelerated wear on ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, etc. I'll try to get a little more mileage out of them before I replace them.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, my OEM shocks are still good at 105K. I suspect the problem is elsewhere. However, after four margaritas at my favorite watering-hole, I may not be thinking quite right.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

47k is a little soon for shocks, unless the original owner was a tower/hauler. Although I really ain't crazy about the stock shocks anyway.

Replace 'em with a set of Rancho, Bilstein, Monroes or even a $120 set of Pro Comp 9000s.

Also, if you are gonna tow 5000#, I'd invest in a $200 set of air bags for the rear, best investment you'll ever make!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 50k miles my stock shocks were worn out, mostly country roads.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Jeff d
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Also, if you are gonna tow 5000#, I'd invest in a $200 set of air bags for the rear, best investment you'll ever make!!!
But wouldn't I need a compressor and what not? I'm not too familiar with how these work. I have a compressor at the house. Would they be something that could be inflated appropriately for towing at the house and then deflated some for daily driving?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad shocks at 47,000 mi?