3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling kit causing my steering wheel to wobble?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Matt, you definately need to get some longer brake lines. It's just wild that you have a 2wd and if the spacers on the front are truly only 2" if you put 1.5" blocks in the back just from looking at your picture that the front end sits so high. I would expect that your front end would sit just a tad bit lower than the rear. Normally 2-2.5" spacers on the front level the truck with the back. If you put blocks in the back the back should sit an inch or so higher. Did you do the spacers yourself?
I know on the brake lines...working on that now! school just started back so alot of things going on...and I agree with the whole block thing. I did the spacer myself, didn't measure it but I ordered the 2". Put the blocks in myself too. Honestly, the front could be a tad higher higher than the back?? Weird I know, I got a messed up truck i guess.

Im about sick of dealing with it. Ive bought new shocks, tons of time, gonna have to buy new brake lines, alignment, and new stock size shocks...alot of time for barely nothing

On the other hand, i have questions. If i put stock size shocks on, will it mess up the alignment done with the +2" shocks? Someone told me that shocks limit travel on 06up trucks, so it could fix my bounce issue

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I don't know about the '06's, but in mine when I had the stock shocks on while I was waiting for my longer ones, they topped out BAD!!!! Of course they limit your travel because they're not letting the suspension work. You want to mess up a shock really quick go ahead and put a stock shock on your truck that already is at the limit with the top arm on the spring bucket. Bad things will happen my friend. I think they may have either sent you the wrong spacer or the spring/spacer may not be sitting in there properly. I know they're two different models as mine is an 04, but if you want, I'll get some pics of my suspension with the 2" longer coils on here so you can compare if you want.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

when you put the spacers on, did you have to jack up the bottom of the spindle to put your shocks back on that you have now?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Matt99
Champion

well they were already up a little, but not too much...they fit pretty dang good honestly

only problem was tightening them, I cant get anything to hold the threaded part on top without rolling it over

Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

You can't get anything to hold the top of the shock without rolling what over? Sorry, I'm not understanding what you have to roll over.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
You can't get anything to hold the top of the shock without rolling what over? Sorry, I'm not understanding what you have to roll over.
You have to tighten a nut down on top of a metal washer and thick rubber washer to mount the shock to the top spring bucket. the shock has a threaded rod sticking about 3" strait out the top.

Name:  32279.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  4.0 KBthats not it, but pretty close up top

You have to hold the top of the rod while tightening down the bolt under it. The top of the bolt should be a hex head or something? no, its flat on two sides and rounded on the other two. too short for a open end to go, and if you try and tighten the bolt past hand tight, the top rolls over, causing the whole shock to spin

Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I got you...get a pair of vice grips and attatch them to the top of that shock bolt on the flat sides. then use your open end wrench on the nut to tighten the top of the shock down.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Matt99
Champion

Thats what I did and it still rolled over, and I got the vice grips on TIGHT.

I shoulda lubed up the threads better or something. But if you dont mind, put a pic of your suspension on here so i can see if theres a difference in shock/coil

Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

will do, give me just a few, I gotta pull my truck around the back of my warehouse.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Matt99
Champion

okay well i got school anyway, ill look at around 4 or so thanks man

Quick Reply: Leveling kit causing my steering wheel to wobble?? HELP