3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trailer wiring

Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM
bloodstain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring

Im curious to know how we can tell if there is a factory tow package on on trucks? I know about the trans cooler, hidden hitch receiver, and factory plug underneath the dash for the brake controller. Whats puzzling me is in the fuse box I show a power feed for trailer and it has a fuse/relay in it, but at the rear of the truck I have no power feed wire coming to my 7 way plug. Also confusing is their is a 4 pin flat that my 7 pin is plugged into(no back up wire or trailer power feed) and the brake controller wire coming from the 7 pin goes from blue to a small 16 gauge white/brown wire that does appear to go up to the brake controller.

So I guess my main thing is where would that trailer power wire be if it is in the fuse box but not at the tail end of the truck? Is it a factory extra option not included with tow package? Dazed and confused lol

Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhhhh,

The 7 pin isn't normally plugged into the 4 pin, a truck with the tow package has 2 separate plugs. I think its safe to say that yours doesn't have the tow package, or someone really modified the trailer plugs.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with gone fishin. The 7 plug is separate from the 4 pin with the tow package, sounds like someone modified it to me.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

So to be clear a factory tow package would have a 4 wire under the bumper and the 7 pin mounted on the bumper, wired separately? if thats the case and I dont have the factory tow package is there not going to be a power wire for trailer feed at the rear of the truck?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by bloodstain
So to be clear a factory tow package would have a 4 wire under the bumper and the 7 pin mounted on the bumper, wired separately? if thats the case and I dont have the factory tow package is there not going to be a power wire for trailer feed at the rear of the truck?
Bingo.

+1 on what the other guys said.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

That is correct, mine has the tow package and has two separate plugs

Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

Ok so come to find out I have a tow package but not the one that comes with the 7 pin wiring. Local trailer shop investigated and found that who ever owned the truck before me put in the 7 pin and a brake controller. Unfortunately they did it incorrectly. Apparently Dodge didnt run the trailer brake wire from the connector up front as well as the trailer power wire, both were terminated at the front fender well. The tech told me they had tapped into the 3rd brake light feed to run the brake controller. So basically the brake controller didn't have any control over trailer brakes, hitting the brake pedal was sending full voltage to the trailer brakes locking them up instantly! He ran the proper wires and all is good in trailer land now lol.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok so come to find out I have a tow package but not the one that comes with the 7 pin wiring. Local trailer shop investigated and found that who ever owned the truck before me put in the 7 pin and a brake controller. Unfortunately they did it incorrectly. Apparently Dodge didnt run the trailer brake wire from the connector up front as well as the trailer power wire, both were terminated at the front fender well. The tech told me they had tapped into the 3rd brake light feed to run the brake controller. So basically the brake controller didn't have any control over trailer brakes, hitting the brake pedal was sending full voltage to the trailer brakes locking them up instantly! He ran the proper wires and all is good in trailer land now lol.
That would mean your truck DID NOT come from the factory with the Tow Package. Dodge pre-wired all Rams for quick dealer install of add-on tow kits.
ALL Rams have standard 4-pin. ONLY Tow package trucks come with 7-pin bumper mounted plugs.

Also, I think trailer adapters should be illegal. Using a 4-way to 7-way converter is defeating the entire purpose of the 7-way plug. 7-ways have trailer brakes and are much needed. The fact that someone used that converter to add a brake wire was being ridiculously cheap and sacrificed safety for a lousy $68 which is what the entire OEM add-on kit costs! They prob spent half of that to cobb it up and didn't even succeed.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

I agree and the real scary part is I bought the truck that way so somebody was towing with it setup that way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer wiring