3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trannys, Diffs, and Fluids....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trannys, Diffs, and Fluids....

Alrighty fellas, did a quick (half-a$$ed) search, and didn't find exactly what I needed.

I'm preeeeety sure neither of my trucks have been properly maintained, by the prior owners and myself included. So now I have 4 diffs, 2 trannys, and 24 sparkplugs to replace.

I will spend the extra $ and go synthetic with everything. But my big question is this: Can I use the same fluids/weights in both trucks? I know the 'Rango is different from the Ram, but I'd imagine the drivetrain is quite similar. What weights are ya'll recommending for the diffs and tranny, in the Ram at least? Once I find that out, I can cross-reference to what the 'Rango calls for... I'm really hoping I can keep it the same for both, so I can just buy it in bulk, maybe save a $ or two.

Also, are there any online gigs that sell these oils in bulk? Or am I better off just sticking with Advanced? I live about.....1/2 mile from one, so if shipping is an issue, Ill just stick to them. But any sites ya'll can throw out would be cool.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy cases of fluid on Amazon from pretty decent prices. and im pretty sure both trannys in the durango and ram are the same, which both call for atf+4. i used valvolene for that. used to run RP in the trans, but it was too expensive this time around. i run RP 75W90 i think in the diff. just check both manuals to find out what you need.

Quick Reply: Trannys, Diffs, and Fluids....