3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking in my Hemi. Ram.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 PM
rumblebeef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking in my Hemi. Ram.

I bought it new, then blew the engine cuz of a hydrolock at 14k. Ins. covered it, so i got a new motor. I now have 25k on the truck, which is only 11k on the engine, like new right?

So anyway, at idle, once it is warmed up, i get a very audible knocking noise that can be heard when im in underground parking, or next to a wall, like in a drive thru. My buddy has the same truck and is also a member of this forum, and he says that this is a common issue, but not a problem. I am told that this is known as the Hemi tick or knock. I dont buy into it so easy, especially as I owe a whole hell of a lot of money on it. It worries me that a brand new engine, could have what seems like a high mileage problem.

I just recently decided to run Royal Purple 5w-20, not only in hopes of better performance, but also hoping that it would cure my knock. No dice. I should aslo note that I always give my truck 1-2 mins for the revs to fall after a cold start to insure that oil is at the top, before I drive away.

So my question is, CAN ANYONE RELATE?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The "Hemi Tick" is common, but does NOT sound at all like pre-detonation or "knock", are you hearing chatter (Hemi Tick) or a definite knock or ping?

I have had the "tick" since day one and a switch from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple did seem to quiet it, but it's still there.

If it's "knock" and you are running 87 octane fuel, switch to 89 octane (what you should be running anyway unless you want cylinder issues down the road)...

Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
shortburb
Rookie

I was worried about a slight (when cold) motor noise for the longest time.

Then I rented an 09 for a vacation trip and sure as shizz it made the same noise.

If you think your noise is louder than 'normal' post it up in a vid so I can hear it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
rumblebeef

I usually run 94, but with the recent hike in prices or gas, I run 91. It does sound like a knock but I might be exaggerating, due to fear. lol. Its not detonation, but may be ping. I will get an audio clip up hear as soon as I figure out how. I should also point out that it can only be heard when im outside the truck, and other than that, seems perfectly healthy. But I have to say, that seeing as my buddy own the same truck, i dont hear it in his. :S

Old 03-07-2010, 12:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have a cold air intake?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
rumblebeef

Nope. I wish though.

Until i get an audio clip up here, imagine the sound of an engine that you can tell needs oil.

Quick Reply: Knocking in my Hemi. Ram.