3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as said the gears are in your diff, not in your trans. Good luck man, hope insurance somehow comes through for you. keep us updated

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 AM
05hemi05
Rookie

Originally Posted by truckin151
4.56's are the gears in your rear differential.
Originally Posted by RamGentry13
as said the gears are in your diff, not in your trans. Good luck man, hope insurance somehow comes through for you. keep us updated
gotcha guys, thanks for clearing that up. ill be sure to keep you guys posted when i hear anything new.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by 05hemi05
gotcha guys, thanks for clearing that up. ill be sure to keep you guys posted when i hear anything new.
i obviously had a brain fart too, that didn't help anything.

installed price on gears will run you quite a bit themselves. about $700 for 2wd and double for 4wd.

If the torque converter does need to be replaced, for the sake of the forum and you dignity as a dodge ram owner please replace it with a NON-stock unit. Many of us have come to recognize the TC as the single largest power robber in the ram's powertrain. some claim upwards of 20 rwhp just by changing to a more efficient unit, as well as an increase in MPG.

If you get a higher stall (don't do this if you tow a lot or are very worried about MPG) you'll put down a whole lot more power on the ground sooner.

I firmly believe that my Superchips is a well conceived, designed, and implemented product. I have the torque management turned down to 10% (only available to beta testers for now) and am more confident in it protecting my trans than the stock tune with 100% torque management.

With the crap stock TC, trans, and tuning, every ram owner with heavy shoes should be upgrading some part of it to avoid disaster. The SC was the cheapest route and suffices for me since I don't have any major power add-ons.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

alright guys, so today the guy down at the transmission shop was able to tear into it and figure out what was going on. I cant remeber the name of the exact part but it was a cable in the transmission that puts the truck into gear(PRND12). turns out it had snapped. he said he's sees it alot in the ferd trucks and that it wasnts common in dodge's, he called it a 'freak accident' lol so i guess i wont worry too much about WOT since it wasnt a blown transmission. its gonna run me over $600 to fix but thats nowhere near as bad as i was expecting. ill should be gettin her back tommorrow, finally

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alright guys, so today the guy down at the transmission shop was able to tear into it and figure out what was going on. I cant remeber the name of the exact part but it was a cable in the transmission that puts the truck into gear(PRND12). turns out it had snapped. he said he's sees it alot in the ferd trucks and that it wasnts common in dodge's, he called it a 'freak accident' lol so i guess i wont worry too much about WOT since it wasnt a blown transmission. its gonna run me over $600 to fix but thats nowhere near as bad as i was expecting. ill should be gettin her back tommorrow, finally

DAMN!! $600 for a shifter cable? thats insane. but its good to hear that you got it all worked out.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

so i wont ever be listening to my dad agian when it comes to descriptions of whats wrong with a vehicle

after talking to the transmission guy personally it turns out it was a blown torque converter! he said the spindles in it were fried so im guessing whoever owned the truck before me must have drove it to hell. the price makes more sense now too lol i got it back this afternoon and man its nice to be drivin a truck again. hopefully this is the end of the problems with this truck, im keepin my fingers crossed!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

so i wont ever be listening to my dad agian when it comes to descriptions of whats wrong with a vehicle

after talking to the transmission guy personally it turns out it was a blown torque converter! he said the spindles in it were fried so im guessing whoever owned the truck before me must have drove it to hell. the price makes more sense now too lol i got it back this afternoon and man its nice to be drivin a truck again. hopefully this is the end of the problems with this truck, im keepin my fingers crossed!
Like I said...