3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No trans fluid flow after change

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:47 PM
bradthebold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No trans fluid flow after change

I just changed the filters in my transmission and now I'm not getting any fluid out of the return line. When I drained it, I pulled the return line, started it, and pumped most of the fluid out of the pan. I replaced everything, put 5qt of fluid in to the cold line, and then tried to run it with the return line off again to flush more of the old fluid out, but I get nothing. I ran through gears but still have no fluid coming out of the return line. Is there a thermostat before it sends the fluid to the cooler? Except that it pumped out fine when I drained it cold. I'm guessing I messed up the seal for the filter. I tapped it in with a socked and made sure it was flush all the way around though. Any ideas?

2005 1500 4.7L

Also, the screw in filter didn't screw in very nicely. It would get very snug at one point in its circle of screwing it in, then turn easy again. I think I got it screwed in tightly, but it may not be. Could that cause the issue? I'm guessing the filter is after the line I unhooked though and wouldn't matter.

Last edited by bradthebold; 02-10-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:29 PM
bradthebold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it was a thermostat or the system needs to be sealed to prime the pump or something, but I hooked the line back up and ran it for a couple mins. Ran it through the gears, actually moved forward and backward a couple feet, then unhooked it again and got fluid flowing.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you emptied the trans fluid completely then you will need more then 5 quarts to get it full. As far as it not pumping i would guess the seal for the filteris messed up. Its easy to do.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

always replace the filter seal...when you pull out the old filter... the old seal may tear or not seal with the new filter....if it doesn't seal...it will suck air.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Also make sure that the flat pan filter is installed correctly. The transmission pump feeds the torque converter by pumping fluid from the pan through that filter. Be sure that you kept the pan filter level as you pushed it in, while giving a slight of wiggle (push and wiggle simultaneously). The filter should not have moved at all when you put in the mounting screw. If the filter did move when putting in the screw, then the filter is cocked and the transmission pump will suck air.

Quick Reply: No trans fluid flow after change