DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   panel removal question, sub install (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/238998-panel-removal-question-sub-install.html)

BlakeCP29 03-24-2010 10:07 AM

panel removal question, sub install

alright my HU should be here any day now so Ive begun installing the subs (really just running the power wire from the battery to the amp) then ill wire the HU once it arrives. I'm trying to run the cable under the carpet/panel on the driver side. i already put the cable through the firewall, just need to know how to get those panels off. ive read to just pull, just want to confirm that i have to use some force to get them off. dont want to break anything! thanks guys. ill post pictures of the truck (all stock for a while) and the system once its all done.

edit: my subs were installed professionally before, but i know how to do it now. theres just one thing idk about. there is a single wire coming from the amp and i have no idea what its for. in my previous car they had run in with another wire but im confused as to what its for/what to wire it to.

ramhunter9 03-24-2010 10:49 AM

they are in by snap clips full straight out , check for and screws and take them out and give her hell

Matt99 03-24-2010 12:00 PM

yea you just start at the end and work your way pulling strait out

cwboyjohnny24 03-24-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeCP29 (Post 2062000)

edit: my subs were installed professionally before, but i know how to do it now. theres just one thing idk about. there is a single wire coming from the amp and i have no idea what its for. in my previous car they had run in with another wire but im confused as to what its for/what to wire it to.

There should be a power, a ground, and a switched wire. The power wire is constant power, the ground is self explanatory and the switched wire i used to hook to the power antenna wire on the HU. That way when the radio comes on so does the amp. I haven't had an amp in years, so things might have changed. I like the surround sound instead of the boom boom.

Matt99 03-24-2010 01:21 PM

I used the left side cigarette lighter (only works with the key in) for my ignition wire....works good, and I can turn my radio on without the subs on (with the key in the ON position) to save battery

BlakeCP29 03-24-2010 01:40 PM

alright its the ignition wire, thanks. ill just wire it to the cigarette lighter seems like a good idea. ill go home later and remove the panels. now i just need a box for under my rear seats! just gotta wait and save some more money since i bought the HU. for now im just gonna fold my seats up and put my sealed square box there...ghetto haha

BlakeCP29 03-24-2010 08:45 PM

matt 99. how did you go about wiring it to the cigarette lighter? just find the wire somewhere on its way to the fusebox? of right behind the lighter? and how hard was it?

cwboyjohnny24 03-24-2010 08:54 PM

That's why I suggested hooking it up to the power antenna wire on the hu. It's right there and chances are you aren't using it for anything else. It only comes on when the radio turns on. Just my opinion it may be better hooking it into the cigarette lighter.

OICUDRIVE12 03-24-2010 09:27 PM

Not sayin the cig lighter wont work but when I did mine in all my prev. vehicles I just ran the remote wire "the switch wire" from the back of the HU.

The wire in the wiring harness you bought will be Blue and so should your remote wire.Just twist, sauder, and heat shrink.

Or just wire into your power wire in the harness.It is red and this will do the same because in the back of your HU the constant power is the Yellow wire that keeps the time set when you shut the truck off,so wiring the remote wire to the red wire wont hurt anything.

Its all up to you.Plus let me know if you want it louder and I will tell you some risky but helpfull tips.

cwboyjohnny24 03-24-2010 09:33 PM

In all my hu the blue wire was the power antenna wire. I may be wrong though.