3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bilstein 5100 adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the best thing to do would be to just get a shop to take the coil off and put it on the bilstein. I think those coilovers are crazy even with a compressor

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 AM
kllrbee
Rookie

Ill give it a shot. Cant be too bad. Nothing some beers and a few hours cant solve. Maybe a few bloody knuckles too. Haha.

It seems like the only real tough part would be actually getting the shock out of the coil. Seems like everything else is just wrenching and maybe a pickle fork and BFH. Ill just rent a spring compressor from autozone so no big deal there.

Thanks for the help guys. Any more help is definitely appreciated.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt99
yea the best thing to do would be to just get a shop to take the coil off and put it on the bilstein. I think those coilovers are crazy even with a compressor
Gonna go that route I think matt two hrs at a garage oughta do it

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by rocket23
Gonna go that route I think matt two hrs at a garage oughta do it
If you take just the old struts/new ones up there, they should be able to put the coil on the new ones in 10-20 min tops. Putting them on your truck will be easy

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meen green machine
o stupid me yall can all laugh now haha. any other available options that provide lift by replacing shocks for the earlier models?
no. on the setup you have, the shocks play no part in the ride height of the vehicle.

and taking the coil off the strut is not hard at all. just rent the strut spring compressor from autozone, crank it down a bit, and take the retaining bolt off. then do that in reverse to put it back on.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
kllrbee
Rookie

Im sorry guys, but Im confused about why its so hard to get the strut off and on the coil. how is it on there that makes it so tough?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie

Originally Posted by kllrbee
Im sorry guys, but Im confused about why its so hard to get the strut off and on the coil. how is it on there that makes it so tough?
It's just the tremendous spring tension that is held by the retainer. If you don't use the correct tool, and technique to remove the spring, the results could be VERY painful, and potentially deadly.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
kllrbee
Rookie

Alright, its just the tension you guys are talking about. Nothing a rented compressor from autozone shouldnt be able to handle. You guys had me worried there for a second. I thought id have to go to a shop.

So dont have the compressor under load and beat on it with a hammer right? Haha...just joking.

thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Matt99
Champion

the only thing I was wondering about was size. do they rent out compressors for a small coil like that? The only one my autozone had was huge

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

These are the type i have that i will eventually use when I get around to doing this.. just make sure you use 2, I made the mistake of only using 1 years ago and it was sketchy as hell..

http://www.coil-spring.net/wp-conten...mpressor-1.jpg

Quick Reply: bilstein 5100 adjustables