3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 engauge......dash feedback issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Roughneck1860
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 engauge......dash feedback issues.

I have an '07 Hemi Ram 1500. It's been having problems when it comes to the 4x4. When its in auto every time it goes to engage the 4x4 light flashs and the the alt gauge shoots off the scal and the other gauges crash. In 4x4 lock it just does this while engauging or trying to engauge the first time but in auto will. My dealer has changed the acctuator, done the TSB software update/flash and replaced the TIPM. When I went to pick it up last time I hadnt even gotten the keys back and they said "those fixes didnt work, it still does it". My dealer is kinda lost andI'm getting frustrated.......any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughneck1860
I have an '07 Hemi Ram 1500. It's been having problems when it comes to the 4x4. When its in auto every time it goes to engage the 4x4 light flashs and the the alt gauge shoots off the scal and the other gauges crash. In 4x4 lock it just does this while engauging or trying to engauge the first time but in auto will. My dealer has changed the acctuator, done the TSB software update/flash and replaced the TIPM. When I went to pick it up last time I hadnt even gotten the keys back and they said "those fixes didnt work, it still does it". My dealer is kinda lost andI'm getting frustrated.......any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim
Tim,

There was one other TSB that may pertain to your vehicle I could find. I have posted it below. If the dealer cannot figure the issue out they should be calling a Chrysler tech or you can contact Chrysler Customer Assistance (800-992-1997) and have them get a Chrysler tech involved to help fix your issue.

NUMBER: 21-011-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: July 4, 2007

SUBJECT:
"SERV 4WD" Lamp And DTC C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves diagnosis procedures to determine if the clutch apply / inner bearing
support plate is worn in the NV-246 Transfer Case (T-Case).
MODELS:
2007 (DR) Ram Truck (1500)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to four wheel drive Light Duty Ram Trucks that are
equipped with a NV-246 transfer case (sales code DH8) and were built on or
between October 30, 2006 (MDH 1030) and June 19, 2007 (MDH 0619XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience one or more of the following conditions:
A). Illumination of the “SERV 4WD” lamp in the instrument cluster.
B). A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
C1405 - Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High.
The above condition(s) will occur when the “4WD High” mode is selected using the transfer
case mode selector switch. This condition may be due to wear on the transfer case inner
bearing support (clutch apply plate). Indentations (wear) may occur in the inner bearing
support plate surface which may allow the transfer case shift actuator to over-travel and
cause the condition(s) experienced by the customer.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Perform the diagnostic procedures for DTC C1405. Was the condition corrected?
a. If YES >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply.
b. If NO >>> then proceed to the next step.
2. If not already, connect the StarSCAN® scan tool to the vehicle Diagnostic Link
Connector (DLC). Power up the StarSCAN®.
3. Start the vehicle engine.
4. Verify that the transfer case mode selector switch is in the “2WD” mode.
NUMBER: 21-011-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: July 4, 2007
5. From the “Home” screen on the StarSCAN®:
a. Select the “ECU View” button.
b. Select the “TIPM” (Totally Integrated Power Module) button.
c. Select the “Data Display” button.
d. Scroll down and select/highlight “T-Case Position Sensor Voltage”.
e. Select the “Add to Graph” button.
f. Select the “View Graph” button.
6. Monitor the voltage of the T-Case Position Sensor while the transfer case is in “2WD”
mode.
7. Move the transfer case mode selector switch to the “4WD LOCK” mode (high range).
Verify that the transfer case has shifted fully into “4WD LOCK” mode. It may be
necessary to move the vehicle a small distance in order to obtain full “4WD LOCK”
mode.
8. Monitor the voltage of the T-Case Position Sensor while and after the transfer case
electrically shifts to “4WD LOCK” mode.
9. The technician may want to shift the transfer case between “4WD LOCK” mode and
“2WD” mode several times while monitor the T-Case Position Sensor voltage.
10. When shifted to “4WD LOCK” mode and/or while the transfer case operates in “4WD
LOCK” mode, did the T-Case Position Sensor voltage equal or exceed 4.75 volts?
a. If YES >>> then perform the Repair Procedure.
b. If NO >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.
11. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

Quick Reply: 4x4 engauge......dash feedback issues.