3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

black or chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
jeffgank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black or chrome?

you can see my truck in my profile pic.
nferno red. chrome bumpers, chrome side molding. its stock except for dual exhaust with chrome tips.
I'm going to be getting bed rails similar to these(but probably aftermarket)

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Mop...-PRD26292.aspx

and these wheels

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...9.5&vid=011079

i need opinions on the color of the bed rails..black or chrome? - the ol lady says go black because of the bit of black that is in the wheel. i was leaning towards black too, until i saw an inferno red truck like mine with the chrome ones. Now I'm torn. opinions?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
dodgegirl05
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well are you doing red and chrome with the truck or would you rather do red and black?

i think those wheels would look good chrome on ur truck! IMO

Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

I had that type of rail and the fitment is not very good as they bolt from the middle area of the tube (With a ****ty spacer) and if you don't use bed caps with them they have a tendancy to crush down when the bolts are tightened and the curve ends are not always flush. I gave them away to a Guy driving an F-150.

I suggest the Putco ones that fasten on the ends and have the cool openings at both curved end. They cost about 100 less than the ones with the solid ends and if you have to tie down a load they are designed for that too and no danger of damage and rope sliding on the bar. A friend just installed them on his White 3500 SB with the black bed caps. It looks real nice. I am doing another install for a Guy with a Black 2nd Gen 1500 and for that he chose the same Putco style matched up with Stainless Bed Caps.

So like Dodgegir05l says for the Rims, go Chrome for the rails and if you go black for rims add the black bed caps JMO.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Name:  101_0031-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  53.8 KB

Is it really necessary for me to weigh in on this???

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
jeffgank

Originally Posted by 03MopaRamman
I had that type of rail and the fitment is not very good as they bolt from the middle area of the tube (With a ****ty spacer) and if you don't use bed caps with them they have a tendancy to crush down when the bolts are tightened and the curve ends are not always flush. I gave them away to a Guy driving an F-150.

I suggest the Putco ones that fasten on the ends and have the cool openings at both curved end. They cost about 100 less than the ones with the solid ends and if you have to tie down a load they are designed for that too and no danger of damage and rope sliding on the bar. A friend just installed them on his White 3500 SB with the black bed caps. It looks real nice. I am doing another install for a Guy with a Black 2nd Gen 1500 and for that he chose the same Putco style matched up with Stainless Bed Caps.

So like Dodgegir05l says for the Rims, go Chrome for the rails and if you go black for rims add the black bed caps JMO.
they connect in the middle?... what a dumb idea...
connecting at the end would be much better im certain. i like the idea of the opening on the ends too. but I should have some bed caps put on first? with this over top.. makes sense. i thought about it, but wasnt sure it was necessary.

...yea i think im leaning on the chrome. I'm gonna wait until Carlisle- in hopes of seeing some of these things in person. Maybe I'll be able to make up my mind then...
thanks everyone

Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I think personally the chrome would look better. It seems your truck is already pretty much geared toward chrome and not the black on red. Also, I'm gonna help you out a little by putting your pics up here so people can see a little quicker rather than click on your profile, then click the links. You may get more response if they can see right on the front page.

Here's his truck:

Here's the bed rails:

Here's the rim's:

Just tryin' to help you out. You may get a better response.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
jeffgank

thanks man...yeah i'm new and have yet to read the topic on posting pics. thanks again

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

No problem.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

Is it really necessary for me to weigh in on this???
As I was reading the responses, I was just waiting for yours

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

hammer's vote goes towards the black. lol

Quick Reply: black or chrome?