3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas vent issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 01:47 PM
ekring67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas vent issue

Need some opinions please.

Back story.

2007 ram 2500. Originally brought in for “check gas cap” message and MIL came on. MIL did not come on right away, but after a few days of the “check gas cap” message. Was told there was an evap issue and the part needed to be ordered. Came back a few days later to have the part (sensor I think) installed. Paid around $400 I think. Picked it up and the light was off. The next day the MIL came back on and the same “check gas cap” message came back. Diagnosis was wrong part was identified and another part supposedly replaced. No charge. Picked it up and the light was off. Next day the light came back on When I finally brought it back I was told the problem all along was a bad hose on top of the fuel tank. No charge. I picked it up and the light was off. The light has remained off, but for the first time in all this diagnosing and repairs I am left with the inability to put gas in the tank without the gas pump shutting off every gallon or so. I took it back to have it looked at again and was provided a diagnosis that the fuel tank needed replaced with a quote of around $2k. This is when I became curious about the newest diagnosis on this entire scenario and felt I needed to address it. I picked it up and left.

I was provided further information that there is blocked vent. This was never an issue up until this hose was replaced at which point it became an immediate issue with filling the tank. I ask the dealer to check the hose and they again said it was a blocked vent and the entire fuel tank needed replaced.

Does anyone have an input on why the entire fuel tank needs replaced for a blocked vent hose? Furthermore, why would this problem NOT have presented itself prior to a hose being replaced. If a hose being replaced caused this problem in the first place why has the problem now escalated to the entire fuel tank?

Last edited by ekring67; 12-19-2022 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added vehicle details
Old 12-19-2022, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Time to find a different dealer I think.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:25 PM
ekring67

I am going to get another opinion at another service center before paying the dealer for this repair. Apparently, the scenario of events does seem a little fishy?

Old 12-19-2022, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

More than a little.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:30 AM
ekring67

I will be waiting on the dealer's recommended repair until I get another opinion from a separate service center. I have heard that there are some vents inside the fuel tank itself that if they are bad cannot be accessed. The hose that was already replaced I was told was on top of the fuel tank but I am pretty sure I heard the dealer service advisor say something about the fill valve. I wonder if there is something in the fill valve that could have been accidentally lodged further down into another part or piece that would cause the air lock preventing my tank from being filled at normal gas pump flow.

Quick Reply: Gas vent issue