3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

545RFE VB filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Maori
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545RFE VB filter?

Does the OEM Valve Body have a filter and how many? If so do they need to be replaced with new ones or can it be transfered over to the replacement VB? If new ones are needed then can anyone provide a picture or part number?

I will soon be removing the OEM with a Sharadon VB stage III and have never seen the inside of one before. 04 Dodge Ram 5.7 stock tranny.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OEM has two filters - the conventional flat, and a spin-on. As for interchangeability, I don't know.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Maori
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The OEM has two filters - the conventional flat, and a spin-on. As for interchangeability, I don't know.
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

If you're gonna have it open, just change them out while you're in there.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Maori, If I open the pan I think it is a good chance to install fresh filters. I wouldn't reuse the old ones. Good luck...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get both filters at napa for about $40. replace both while youre in there. btw, the filters are for the transmission itself, not the VB. there is a spin on for the cooler return, and theres a flat (sump) that filters the fluid in the pan before it goes to the front pump.

heres a pic of the pan off, both filters in place:

Name:  DSC_0085.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  69.4 KB

with the sump filter taken off:

Name:  DSC_0086.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  70.4 KB

and with the spin on filter off:

Name:  DSC_0093.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  69.6 KB

just tell the guys at napa, or autozone what you need, they will find it for you. most of them dont know about the spin on though, make em look for it.

as you can see from the pics, with the filters off, you have clear and easy access to the valve body. its just held in by a couple bolts. easy swap. if you need help with the install, or have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Maori
Professional

Well cant get better details than that. Thanks for the informative infoation OlDirtyJohn
Also ordered the 545RFE Line Booster from Circle D yesterday and is always shipped as we speak so that will be going in as well. Can't wait...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maori
Well cant get better details than that. Thanks for the informative infoation OlDirtyJohn
Also ordered the 545RFE Line Booster from Circle D yesterday and is always shipped as we speak so that will be going in as well. Can't wait...
not a problem! up in the faqs section there are a few DIYs about shift kits and torque converters. lots of good pics in there for reference if you need em. or just ask me and i can email them.

the line booster i assume is the sonnax? if you have an 03 and did the tmr delete mod dont expect much out of it. but for me, it made shifts noticeably quicker and more firm. if you start throwing codes with it, take the connector apart and check the wires. mine wasnt put together well, and one of the wires became disconnected.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Maori
Professional

Cool i will have check out the DIY in more detail. I tried the search but i must of entered the "wrong" keywords.

Mine is a 04 and yep i got the sonnax from Circle D. Read your thread regarding the connector issue that you have with yours so i will be prepared of when and if it happens .

Cheers again.

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
not a problem! up in the faqs section there are a few DIYs about shift kits and torque converters. lots of good pics in there for reference if you need em. or just ask me and i can email them.

the line booster i assume is the sonnax? if you have an 03 and did the tmr delete mod dont expect much out of it. but for me, it made shifts noticeably quicker and more firm. if you start throwing codes with it, take the connector apart and check the wires. mine wasnt put together well, and one of the wires became disconnected.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

I don't remember the part number but I bought the 45RFE kit from napa when I did mine. Both trans use the same filters except the 45RFE kit came with the two filters plus an actual gasket vs needing to use RTV. Check and make sure your trans pan is steel though, I would sooner use RTV on an aluminum pan but the gasket is less messy than RTV with a steel pan.

Quick Reply: 545RFE VB filter?