3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help

Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help

Hello everyone I did not go an dintroduce myself yet but I wanted to put this post up asap. I bought an 05 laramie about 2 months ago and about a month after I bought it the truck started rough idling and when I would come to stop sign or light the idle would drop and the truck would sometimes stall or "catch" itself before it stalled. I took it back to where I bought it (not a dodge dealer, I have a 3 month warranty). Since the engine light is not on, it is difficult to find the problem. They cleaned out the throttle body, replaced the air sensor that is in the air intake tube and I get it back and it does it again. I bring it back to them and they replace the EGR valve. I get it back and it does it again! I finally get these people to let me bring it to a dodge dealer down the road and the dealer puts it on the computer and they said it was an aftermarket EGR valve and it wont work with dodge so they replace it with another one and they say everyting is ok. I get it back and it ran great for a day, next day at a light stalls! I am frustrated. I read a couple of older posts on here and other sites and they all talk about these things I listed and possible the vacum system? Anyone have any ideas any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks and sorry for the long post, I will look at this thread first thing tomorrow thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

IT can and will throw a code without throwing a CEL. Can you do a check and see if cycling the key pops up a code?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

And always keep in mind the CEL bulb could be out or even pulled out to make it look like no CELs are on.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Red face I will check and get back to guys thanks

I will check today with the key cycle and see if a code comes up. I will also check the bulb too. Thanks for the ideas I will check this morning and post back on here.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Default One more thing

Originally Posted by weedahoe
And always keep in mind the CEL bulb could be out or even pulled out to make it look like no CELs are on.
Hey is there a way to check the bulb or do i have to take the dash apart? Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Yeah mine through a code for the ABS sensor and caused all sorts of weird crap to happen (no Cruise control, truck would stall coming to a stop or shutter a bit) NO CEL ever popped up but with the way it was acting I just checed it doing the key cycle anyways and sure enough a couple codes popped up. So its always a good idea to run through and check things even if there is no CEL showing.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Question Ran key cycle

OK I ran the Key cycle and nothing came up? (3 times from off to on correct?) I was hoping sometiong popped up. I am going to work I will try it again later. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help by the way.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
Red face Another question

I was curious if and when you take your gas cap off there should be pressure released correct? I notice when i take mine off I do not hear anything. Could i have a hose leak? I also wanted to ask about the PCV valve would that cause the stalling rough idling?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Bringin this post back to the top, this guy needs some help and I cant think of anything else that could be causing this situation (been PM'ing back and forth). So lets do some brain storming, one of us should be able find a cause.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
OICUDRIVE12
Professional

IDC- idle control valve, clean or replace.

Vacuum- check all lines for cracks, or missing connections. If all are good go ahead and replace gas cap I know this sounds weird but if it does not create a good seal it will suck air and make your EGR valve mix more air than gas.

Other than these 2 things only thing I can think of is something else in your fuel system, clogged filter or bad injector maybe but unlikley.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help