3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LOOONG/expensive day

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM
jake7
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOONG/expensive day

Well the day didn't start too bad. I was planning on changing plugs, wires, boots, oil, filter, rotating the tires and runnign some seafoam through it along with a descent cleaning of TB. I bought the oild and spark plugs yesterday and was going to get the rest today. No auto part store in a 20 mile radius had the wires/boots. So I decided I'd stick with changing oil and plugs. The truck had been "bogging" out around 40-55 so i was hoping the plugs would help a little. The truck just rolled to 90k miles. My truck had also been vibrating/shaking around 50-60 and 90+. I had the wheels balanced and I was hoping a rotation of them would help that...well after changing the plugs and oil and rotating the tires we took it out for a drive to find the bogging had pretty much been solved and it didn't vibrate/shake as much at the 60mph range but 90+ it still did pretty bad. I decided to let my stepdad take it for a drive and see if maybe he could come up with the reason. (we had previously checked everything out and couldn't find anything and my step-dad is my go to guy with my cars especially since he has an 06) well he decided to go 90 and then keep going. The vibration got worse and worse until we saw smoke coming out the back and up through the bed and back window space. (that was at 100mph) took it home to find the transfer case had cracked!!!

His truck was taken to the shop today to figure out why it is making a LOUD whining noise in the back in. It had fluid and everything seemed fine but e wants to know what it is before he starts taking it apart and spending money. We took mine to the shop to find out a used transfer case (20k miles on it) would cost $975 installed with 2yr warranty. I had to go to work so he called me with that news..JOY! now i work 4-4am and not in the best of mood. The guy at the shop did say it would stop any vibration I had felt before...JUST A SUCKY DAY!

Anyone know how/why that might have cracked? It was in 2wd so not really sure why it was engaged or anything...??

Old 05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bummer man. yeah the transfer case still turns with the front wheels, but no power is engaged unless youre in 4x4.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Ive never even thought about taking my truck to that point, going that fast. like AF said, it still spins with the vehicle. Unless the T-case is in neutral, I believe. Then it is completely disengaged? I think so anyways. so........ 4x4+100mph=boom!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

I'll bet the tcase was low on fluid. Don't pay someone to install the tcase. You can definately do it on your own.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A buddy of mine had that same thing happen to his ferd f350 4x4.It turned out it was the rear u-joint by the rear axle was out.The tranny guy said it viberated the driveshaft so much that it shook the transfer case and split it at the weakest point.unfortunately we were going out to the desert that night for the week,We had to scramble to find a used transfer case casing so we could leave.not a fun week lol

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
jake7
All Star

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
A buddy of mine had that same thing happen to his ferd f350 4x4.It turned out it was the rear u-joint by the rear axle was out.The tranny guy said it viberated the driveshaft so much that it shook the transfer case and split it at the weakest point.unfortunately we were going out to the desert that night for the week,We had to scramble to find a used transfer case casing so we could leave.not a fun week lol

hmmmm, i changed the front and rear u-joints last week...

Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM
onramps
Default Same issue 4th time

Originally Posted by jake7
Well the day didn't start too bad. I was planning on changing plugs, wires, boots, oil, filter, rotating the tires and runnign some seafoam through it along with a descent cleaning of TB. I bought the oild and spark plugs yesterday and was going to get the rest today. No auto part store in a 20 mile radius had the wires/boots. So I decided I'd stick with changing oil and plugs. The truck had been "bogging" out around 40-55 so i was hoping the plugs would help a little. The truck just rolled to 90k miles. My truck had also been vibrating/shaking around 50-60 and 90+. I had the wheels balanced and I was hoping a rotation of them would help that...well after changing the plugs and oil and rotating the tires we took it out for a drive to find the bogging had pretty much been solved and it didn't vibrate/shake as much at the 60mph range but 90+ it still did pretty bad. I decided to let my stepdad take it for a drive and see if maybe he could come up with the reason. (we had previously checked everything out and couldn't find anything and my step-dad is my go to guy with my cars especially since he has an 06) well he decided to go 90 and then keep going. The vibration got worse and worse until we saw smoke coming out the back and up through the bed and back window space. (that was at 100mph) took it home to find the transfer case had cracked!!!

His truck was taken to the shop today to figure out why it is making a LOUD whining noise in the back in. It had fluid and everything seemed fine but e wants to know what it is before he starts taking it apart and spending money. We took mine to the shop to find out a used transfer case (20k miles on it) would cost $975 installed with 2yr warranty. I had to go to work so he called me with that news..JOY! now i work 4-4am and not in the best of mood. The guy at the shop did say it would stop any vibration I had felt before...JUST A SUCKY DAY!

Anyone know how/why that might have cracked? It was in 2wd so not really sure why it was engaged or anything...??
Well I'm having the same issue 4th time cracking the transfer case. Excatly the same vibration symtoms. I have put 3 cases in my 2005 since new and welded one that lasted another almost another 20k. lol I'm really wanting to know what is causing this too. When the truck was new it would hit 120mph no problem. Still could if I wouldn't blow the case with a speed birst over 90 and through 100 I'm beginning to think that something else is a large contributing factor. Rear drive Shaft slight u-joint wear possibly coupled with maybe a bent drive Shaft. My cases have always mostly broke near the back near or around the yoke cone to, but on the case. My truck is on ramps as we speak with this issue this is now the fourth time. Any thoughts?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:13 PM
onramps
Default need ideas

Well I'm having the same issue 4th time cracking the transfer case. Excatly the same vibration symtoms. I have put 3 cases in my 2005 since new and welded one that lasted another almost another 20k. lol I'm really wanting to know what is causing this too. When the truck was new it would hit 120mph no problem. Still could if I wouldn't blow the case with a speed birst over 90 and through 100 I'm beginning to think that something else is a large contributing factor. Rear drive Shaft slight u-joint wear possibly coupled with maybe a bent drive Shaft. My cases have always mostly broke near the back near or around the yoke cone to, but on the case. My truck is on ramps as we speak with this issue this is now the fourth time. Any thoughts?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever taken your driveshaft in to get balanced? Ever replace the U-Joints?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Not to be a dick or anything but maybe y'alls truck aint made to do 90+?