3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can this be done?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM
theDogger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be done?

OK have a 2004 1500 RAM CREWCAB short bed, Total stock as far as the suspension is concerned. I am thinking of leveling the front end with some Readylift Keys. So he is what I want to do. I want to raise the front and drop the rear slightly so I get the look of a stadium racer. I have some fender flares new 17" rims and tires. Wanted to get this together to change the attitude of the truck.l

Any thoughts, pull a leaf from the rear?

theDogger

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM
TRO14
Banned

Drop shackles in the rear.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sure. You can do it. I wouldn't. But you can.... LoL

Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're doing keys then I'll assume you have a 4x4, if not then good luck finding where the keys will go. As for the nose high stance I don't understand why you would want to compromise your visibility and make yourself more of a hazard on the road but you don't need to remove a spring. Just get drop shackles like mentioned above. Just don't get 2nd gen ones or else you'll raise your rear and keep it as an acceptable vehicle of society but you don't want that now, do ya?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Keep it as an acceptable vehicle of society?
WTF are talking about? This will be no rice racer or hoopty!

As far as seeing over the hood I am not 5' and visibility is not an issue.

It is more for looks than anything else...to give it the desert racing truck profile. I realize that the Desert truck sit that way because of chassis and suspension setup. But I think that what I am planning that dropping the rear end just a bit will finish the look. Oh ya its a 4x4.

I spoke to Ready Life and they gave me the low down on what needs to be done and what my limits are and that it is acceptable to do..

So I will end up raising the front 2" with keys and dropping the rear 1". Basically reversing the current stance. I'll post pics when finished..

But thank you Dudley do Right for the safety advise I'll keep it in mind!!

theDogger

Last edited by theDogger; 10-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

Most leveled trucks with anything more than groceries in the back have that 'stance' or sag if you will, and yet you don't see wrecks all over the road so I think you'll be fine

Now the look is definitely a personal thing but you likely live in an area where it's more common. Can't say I've ever seen one of those runners in person other than maybe old Tonkas with worn out rear leafs.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
theDogger
Rookie

My neighbor use to be part of the Duralast Battery Race team for Baja and their desert truck had a stance with the rear lower but it was a result of setup. The camber and toe and more for highspeed stability. All the desert racers and stadium races are setup that way....

Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Dont buy the keys, cranking your torsion bars does the same EXACT thing. Neither is better than the other, anybody who tells you otherwise is undereducated on the topic. You can go higher with the keys and cranking the bolts, but thats gonna be bad on your front suspension parts and cv shafts. I got 3" of lift by cranking my torsion bars 5 full turns on each side. I've had it that way for well over a year with a lotta time off road too and its all good.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha love when people bash on others ideas of what looks cool. Some people think stock looks the best, or overly lifted trucks with huge chrome rims, or lowered. Geographic location has the biggest impact of what looks cool. Here in SoCal, the pre runner look is every where.

To keep on track, I would crank the front torsion bars. It's free!! If you want to take out a leaf, I would also run some airbag helper springs so you can still haul and tow. I have a 4x4 with my torsions cranked but stock rear leafs and I run a 34" tire. The size is 305/70/17. You can see my profile for pictures. You can run fenders if you want but they Arnt necessary at all.

If you crank the torsions or buy the keys, you'll need to get an alignment and longer shocks. I used a hybrid shock setup. Basically a shock for a toyota pickup with a 6" lift then changed out the lower bushings.

Search this Thread