3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead Console (Glitch)

Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
pirategnome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overhead Console (Glitch)

Hello All,

I'm trying to solve a strange problem with my overhead console. A few weeks ago it decided to stop working all together on me. I then pressed one of the remote buttons and it turned on. The problem is that I have to do this everytime to turn it on, I have seen some wiring diagrams floating around here for the console but can't seem to find them. Anyone have any ideas? I'm assuming the problem is with the actual unit though since power is getting to it.....

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you tried unhooking the battery ? or maybe take the console out , unplug the unit from the wiring and plug it back in?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
pirategnome

You must be able to read minds.

First thing I tried was to unplug the battery.

Then I took the console out and removed the wiring, started the truck, plugged it back in but nothing. After work I'm going to swing by and pick up a new set of torx bits to take apart the actual unit and see if I can see any fried connections.

Just trying to think what happens if I don't see anything. Would a relay prevent power from getting to it when the truck is turned on? Boggles me that by pressing a IR button it will come to life.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on mine if i press "step" 3 or 4 times it goes blank, its one of the settings, maybe the computer is starting in it in that mode, may have to get dodge to reprogram your truck

Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has a "blank" spot as well. I just push another button and it comes back. Is that what you're experiencing?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
pirategnome

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Mine has a "blank" spot as well. I just push another button and it comes back. Is that what you're experiencing?
I think the blank spot you are talking about is in the setup menu. My display is completely off when I start the truck. I have taken the circuit board out and cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol. There is power coming to the board, I tested it with a multimeter. Not sure what is up with it. I think Marx might be onto something......I just don't want to take it to the dealer. $$

Update- Tried plugging it back in again, no luck. Annoying. Here is my only culprit, I found a possibly burnt spot on the screen (see attachment).

Attached Thumbnails Overhead Console (Glitch)-overheadconsolecircuit.jpg  

Last edited by pirategnome; 06-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like somthing burnt up in there.. might try craigslist or ebay or even junkyard for cheapy replacement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhead Console (Glitch)