3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

differential breather broke off

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:10 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry differential breather broke off

Was changing my drivers side rear brake line today it's the one that has the junction that has all the lines to into it..Anyway was turning the differential breather to get it out and it snapped out flush with the axle so for now the brake lines in with no breather vent.I went to a shop and the guy told me don't worry about it you don't need it what kinda crap is that?how do i get this thing out after it snapped off do i really not need it its there for a reason im guessing.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Guessing your talking about the metal fitting that threads into the axle tube...believe it also is used as a clamp for brake line connections and has a nipple for rubber breather hose ?? Yes. I broke one before. Yes you need it. Dirt will get into housing and diff needs to breathe. I believe I used a square easy out to extract mine. The fitting is a soft metal as you found out. Got a replacement at dealership

Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 Must happen to all of us at some point Don't want to put shavings in the housing and goof up your bearings, be careful.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:28 PM
swamper
Veteran

oh man well I never used a easy out before to be honest how much would one cost and where would i get one someplace like auto zone?

Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 PM
swamper
Veteran

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Guessing your talking about the metal fitting that threads into the axle tube...believe it also is used as a clamp for brake line connections and has a nipple for rubber breather hose ?? Yes. I broke one before. Yes you need it. Dirt will get into housing and diff needs to breathe. I believe I used a square easy out to extract mine. The fitting is a soft metal as you found out. Got a replacement at dealership
yes thats what im talking about It snapped in half.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by swamper
oh man well I never used a easy out before to be honest how much would one cost and where would i get one someplace like auto zone?
Any parts store will have 'em. Use a wrench, or 8 point socket on it.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:12 AM
swamper
Veteran

Originally Posted by heyyou
any parts store will have 'em. Use a wrench, or 8 point socket on it. :d
thanks!

Quick Reply: differential breather broke off