3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 1500 Quad Cab Stalling/Tail light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM
TTU_12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1500 Quad Cab Stalling/Tail light issue.

Alright guys, I've got a couple of issues that are apparently hard to put your thumb on seeing as two mechanics haven't figured it out yet. My truck is a 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab, about 109k miles.

The first, and most major issue is this:
Say for example it's a cold winter morning, and I've got class. Never any problems cranking it. The problem comes after I get in, put it in gear, and drive a little ways. Once I hit the first stop light or stop sign, it will down shift into neutral(or whatever it does when you come to a complete stop) and then the RPMs just drop. It happens just a second or two after I stop. The truck either dies, or just drops down from 600-700 RPMS to 300-350 and sounds like it's starving for gas. If it dies, I can usually crank it by turning the key, and giving it a little gas while it turns over a few times. After that happens, I usually don't have an issue with it for the rest of the day. I can drive normally. The only exception to that is that it happens much more often when it is very cold (20s - low 30s). Then it will die at random stops(1-3 times during the entire duration of my trip where ever I'm headed). If it drops RPMs, I usually just try to put one foot one the brake, and give it a little gas. That will happen once or twice and then I'm good for the rest of the drive. This dropping of RPMS, just to where it sounds like it's starving has begun to happen even during the summer. So it seems progressive (first dropping RPMS when it's cold, then also dying, then dropping RPMS in the heat, so maybe dying soon?). I really don't know what the deal is. Fuel pump maybe? Spark Plugs (still has the stock plugs)? Its really above my head, so please guys let me know if you've got any ideas on what it might be or how to fix it.

Secondly, an issue with the tail light:
One day my lamp out bulb came on, so when I got home I opened it up, and checked it out. One thing I noticed on the bulb and down in the socket, is that there seemed to be some burning/melting going on around the metal strip on the bulb. The plastic was all warped and, well melted looking. I replaced the bulb, and it seemed to work. A day later I had the same thing happen. Went and got the bulb out, and it was showing small signs of similar burning/melting. And this is ONLY my brake light. Tail lights, reverse, and blinker work perfectly. I'm no genius but I'm assuming that this a problem with the electrical housing that holds the bulbs? If so is it hard to replace? And where could I order the part (link would be amazing)?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, its much appreciated. Can't handle this much longer, but I'm in no shape to get a new vehicle yet.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Idle issue...I'd either remove and clean your IAC valve located on the T/B or just replace it.
Lamp problem...the taillight is a common burn out/short out problem. Your gonna need a new taillight likely or connector which ever is the problem. The newer one's need whole assemblies, but I'm not entirely sure on the older one's???? Your gonna just keep going through bulbs if you don't fix the connector.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

I have a similar issue with the idle. Mine will start fine and after a few minutes will idle rough and smell like fuel. My mechanic said something was telling the CPU the truck needed more fuel. If I shut it off and start it right back up the truck will run fine and will have no other issue unless the engine cools down again. I can also let it idle its way out but I feel it is too tough on the engine. (Sounds like it has a big cam in it)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
TTU_12

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Idle issue...I'd either remove and clean your IAC valve located on the T/B or just replace it.
Lamp problem...the taillight is a common burn out/short out problem. Your gonna need a new taillight likely or connector which ever is the problem. The newer one's need whole assemblies, but I'm not entirely sure on the older one's???? Your gonna just keep going through bulbs if you don't fix the connector.
Thanks for the advice but I could use a little more specifics if you don't mind.. You're going to have to be a little more specific about what the IAC and T/B is and how to go about cleaning it. I'm not exactly a mechanic, or anything close. And I know I'm going to have to replace the tail light. I just don't know where to get the parts. To save money, I'm hoping to keep the tail light housing that I have, and just replace that 3 socket strip or attachment that connects to that (is that what you're calling the connector?). But again, I need some help on where I could get these kinds of parts.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 AM
huseman808
Captain

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

try that

edit:

and for your 1st problem... that definately sounds like a fuel pump to me. You can verify this by taking it to a shop to check the fuel pressure at the relief port on the fuel rail and see what psi you are at.

good luck

Last edited by huseman808; 08-03-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a similar problem with my tail lights. i went to the dealership and got the tail light circuit boards(things the bulbs plug into), replaced both sides for about 25$ each side. the parts manager laughed, and told me that it was a common problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TTU_12
Thanks for the advice but I could use a little more specifics if you don't mind.. You're going to have to be a little more specific about what the IAC and T/B is and how to go about cleaning it. I'm not exactly a mechanic, or anything close.
Well, your asking for Technical advice in a forum, so unless you feel comfortable doing under hood repairs, you should bring your truck into a mechanic.
IAC is your Idle Air Control valve. Gets gunked up with carbon deposits and doesn't allow the pin to seat correctly and/or the springs gets jammed.
T/B is a common abbrev. for Throttlebody that is located on top of the engine. It's where the air intake tube mounts to. I'd reccomend just replacing the IAC valve as they aren't that expensive. Cleaning them with Brake cleaner is usually the only stuff that touches them, but that stuff eats away at the rubber seals internally and is corrosive as well.

I see your very new to the site. You'd learn alot by ustilizing the Search function or scrolling through previous threads regarding some of your issue's and/or truck in general. You can learn alot by doing that. it's the first start in learning your truck. Also, there is a DIY section located in the FAQ section towards the top of the 3rd Gen forum page. When you get into the FAQ section, scroll to the bottom and under Display Options, click on benginnig to show all threads from DF's beginning. Then you can view all the DIY tutorials.
DIY=Do-It-Yourself.

Last edited by dirtydog; 08-03-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
TTU_12

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Well, your asking for Technical advice in a forum, so unless you feel comfortable doing under hood repairs, you should bring your truck into a mechanic.

I see your very new to the site. You'd learn alot by ustilizing the Search function or scrolling through previous threads regarding some of your issue's and/or truck in general. You can learn alot by doing that. it's the first start in learning your truck. Also, there is a DIY section located in the FAQ section towards the top of the 3rd Gen forum page. When you get into the FAQ section, scroll to the bottom and under Display Options, click on benginnig to show all threads from DF's beginning. Then you can view all the DIY tutorials.
DIY=Do-It-Yourself.
My point was to find out some possibilities for what is wrong. Then judge whether it was too difficult for me or not. A little ambitious, I'll admit, but I like to do what I can.

I know you're supposed to/how to search forums and what not, but my issue has been going on for a while, and I know every detail of how my truck is acting, so I wanted my own specific thread. I'm sorry. Forgive the newbie.

Update: Ordered a connector plate. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for the link Huseman, it was perfect. I'm almost positive that will fix the tail light issue. Been busy with work, but I'll be taking it up to the mechanic to check the fuel pump, and clean out the IAC valve as dirtydog suggested. Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Quick Reply: 02 1500 Quad Cab Stalling/Tail light issue.