3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 Dodge Ram emission control light

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 AM
jimmy60dash1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dodge Ram MIL

Hello! I have an 05 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi, 35,000 miles. On a cold startup only: the engine fires up quick and idles perfect for a few seconds. Then the idle gets "lumpy" although the tach does not reflect it, I can just feel the truck bucking slightly. When I put the truck in drive it bucks terribly under acceleration, misfires, and barely runs for about 20 seconds (give or take a few). Then suddenly it will clear up and smooth out and run perfect from then on out, no matter what distance. If the motor is still warm it will restart perfectly. The truck will throw the emission control light, sometimes it will even flash. The code is multiple cylinder misfire. I have replaced the egr valve, cleaned the pcv valve, ran fuel injector cleaner, checked for vacuum leaks, inspected the plugs (gas mileage is a consistent 14mpg). I am out of ideas, it started this problem a couple weeks ago out of the blue. It will run perfect for a few days then start running poorly again. I have done a lot of research and cant find a definite answer, and I do not want to take it to a shop. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Last edited by jimmy60dash1; 09-26-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Title correction
Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the board.

If it were me I would take off the TB and clean the backside of it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Now I dont think that will resolve your issue but it might.

However, I feel more that it is a fuel injector issue myself. I know you have run FI cleaner through the truck but Im talking more of a physical problem with an injector.

Thats my thought.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 PM
brettj2408
Captain

fuel injectors would give it more than likely a hard start.
emission control lamp? are you talking the lightning bolt?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
jimmy60dash1

The emission control light is the one that looks like this:

its on the left side and top of the gauge cluster. I wouldnt think it was an injector only because it has no problems top end, only for a few seconds on cold start up. Thats my thought, but I have been wrong before!!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:33 PM
brettj2408
Captain

that the MIL lamp ( amlfunction indicator lamp) its not an emission light. although it could be something do do with emissions.
get a code reader and see what your codes are

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
jimmy60dash1

Sorry, your right it is the "mil" lamp, I got emissions stuck in my head from reading the sevice manual. The code is P0300, multiple cylinder misfire. The potential causes I found online were: egr, vacuum leak, wires, plugs, etc. The code doesn't specify a specific cylinder and I replaced the egr, then checked plugs, wires and vacuum lines.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are lots of threads in P0300 around here. It can range from several different issues that are all simple usually. Go under the truck and look at the evap canister in front of the fuel tank also. Check it for cracks in the container and hoses. Are you sure you do not have a code for a specific cylinder?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
jimmy60dash1

I checked it with the scanner every time it puts up the mil, each time it gives the random cylinder misfire. It has ran fine for days, but when I started it up today after work it ran so badly that the truck couldn't even pull out of the parking lot and the mil lamp was flashing like crazy. Twenty seconds later the lamp went off completely and the truck ran fine the whole way home. I guess I'm going to have to break down and take it somewhere.

Quick Reply: 05 Dodge Ram emission control light