3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft for 04 1500

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Alaskan HemiSport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft for 04 1500

I've decidede that I very much want to install a camshaft in my truck to get that lope sound that I love so dearly. Are there any suggestions on this? I want the best idle lope (on the slow side). Do I need any other modifications or kits to go with the camshaft? I currently have a CAI, superchips tune and 3" catback w/ no muffler.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Plenty of threads on cams and loping.....LOL

The lower the LSA the more valve overlap which means the more "lope".

The lowest LSA cam I can think of is the KRC 210x which is 108 LSA. But with that you will need custom tuning which on average will cost about 500+

For custom tuning you need a tuner, gotta pay someone to tune it and a AFR wideband.

Along with that you will need to change not only the cam but also the valve springs and push rods as well as the cam and crank bolt. You can buy all of that for about 100 new

This is my 04 with a KRC 210 (not the 210x) and is on 110 LSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNPo...eature=related

Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Alaskan HemiSport

Wow, that sounds amazing! I have a superchips tuner, would I be able to tune it with that or does it need to be tuned at a dealership? We have no performance shops up here, or dynos for that matter, will that be a problem? Also, do you need to have headers to get that sound or will the lope be loud and clear with the stock exhaust manifold?

Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds good Weed!!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
Sounds good Weed!!!!
THX man. Still got more work to be done though.

Originally Posted by Alaskan HemiSport
Wow, that sounds amazing! I have a superchips tuner, would I be able to tune it with that or does it need to be tuned at a dealership? We have no performance shops up here, or dynos for that matter, will that be a problem? Also, do you need to have headers to get that sound or will the lope be loud and clear with the stock exhaust manifold?
A Superchips will NOT work with a setup like that because SC only does canned tunes whereas I use Diablo (SCT will also work) and they get into custom tuning.

If you can do the work/install yourself then you will be fine. You dont NEE a hop to do it unless you are not mechanically inclined.

A dyno is not needed although is preferred. If not dyno and is avail for tuning then you can pick several tuners through Diablos site who can do email tunes. I used Marty in KRC Permance in FL but he is no longer there so I would go with Sean (HemiFever) as a lot of guys like him.

Headers so help but so does being able to adjust the idle.

Cam - 400
springs, push rods and bolts - 100
tuner - 300
custom tuning - 250
AFR wideband - 150
oil, coolant and misc - 100

you can guy a used cam, tuner, AFR and save some of that money though.

But then you start wanting gears and LTs and new full exh and CAI, power wires and Sonnax boosters and it just goes on and on. LOL

Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

You need headers period to get the most out of a aftermarket cam. There is so many cam and supporting mod threads to make you spin. Half of the fun is researching.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by kay9
You need headers period to get the most out of a aftermarket cam. There is so many cam and supporting mod threads to make you spin. Half of the fun is researching.
You are right as all small add-ons help. But "required" is a different story. Each one of these support mods can be costly so it is important to realize what it is you want versus need.

In that vid I gave above, I still have my stock manifolds although now I do have LTs and complete different exh setup.

Quick Reply: Camshaft for 04 1500