3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans not shifting P1762

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM
blue02ram4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans not shifting P1762

I put my truck in drive and noticed CEL came on and was in 3rd gear. Took it to Oriellys had code P1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage. Cleared the code, now it stays in first. I didnt try to wrap out the rpms to see if it would shift though. I noticed a lot of people have posted threads that they replaced the governor, etc. My question is how often does this fix the actual problem and what is the best brand to get? The transmission shop I had taken it to awhile back told me that they put borg warner solenoids in. I just want to see what all everyone has put in.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Borg warner is the route to take, true story.. there is also the GM units you can use..

These should solve your issue.. they are a known weak link in those rigs..

One thing though, and pay attention here!!! USE YOUR LEVER to shift, as if its a manual trans, until you can get her fixed up.. otherwise you'll burn your trans up in short order.. while she's spinning up trying to start off in second or third, there is a ton of heat generated, and heat is bad bad bad for it.. shift manually to first from a start, then second, then third..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
blue02ram4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borg Warner it is. I don't even plan on driving it until its fixed, but thanks for the tip.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:14 AM
crazyjohn7
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L 2-WHEEL DRIVE, with a 42RE Transmission but I was getting P1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage. It wouldn't shift out of first gear done it intermittent, and it really seemed to have weird problems, like coming up with different codes as misfiring and tried turning OD off but no avail. It would stall at the computer pigtails when pressed or wiggled, mainly white connector, but my problem WAS FIXED by buying a governor solenoid that holds 4-11mm bolts and 2- t20 screws, and governor pressure sensor off Ebay for $120. it took me and a friend about a hour to do whole job. First time I have ever worked this kind of tranny job, but after I put new filter in which holds 3-t20 screws, and gasket with sealer to hold the gasket in place while putting 10-15 1/2 bolts, be very careful to unplug the sensor plug and governor pressure solenoid plug. Afterwards I put in the ATF+4 (5 QRTS not 4), and when I started truck the check engine light went off immediately, took it for a test drive, I had more power, shifted perfect, and still shifts perfect. and I was just about to replace the computer that would cost here around $230-$270, glad I didn't. I have researched and researched countless forums. My advice is if your having similar problems and trouble codes of P1762 and P1763, do the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, filter and the right type of tranny fluid it calls for, before buying the computer unless the scanner tool wont read from computer. Hopes this helps someone, and don't be discourage about the kind of job, it was'nt really that bad, just messy. Just registered and type the code in and this post came up. The parts didn't look bad at all, but was completely worth it.ty

Quick Reply: Trans not shifting P1762