3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram 1500 really sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ram 1500 really sluggish

Hey guys, for the past few months my truck has been feeling really sluggish. In march i changed the oil (royal purple), changed the plugs, changed the breaks, cleaned the TB, cleaned my intake, put in a 180 tstat, did the trans shift wire, and put my superchips on 87 performance. My truck was running great, but that wore off quick. now it feels like i have to give it a lot of pedal for it to move at all. im planning on changing the rear diff fluid soon, but could that be the problem? also my cel is on with the evap code. i think its p0442 or something. i have a cracked hose going to the evap canister that i have to replace. Also when my truck is under torque there is a rattling sound that almost sounds like a heat sheild is loose or my cat or muffler has a bad baffle or something.

my performance mods are DIY intake, flowmaster 40 SI/DO, tmr mod, trans shift wire, superchips 3865, and 180 tstat. im running 35's so i know thats more work for the truck to do, but the truck used to be very responsive. now it feels like im constantly towing something.

is there anyything i could do thats basic to get more throttle response? a quick example is my brother has an 06 with rims/tires, flowmaster 50, k & n intake, and a diablo tuner and when you touch the throttle in his trucks it always feels like the tires wanna break loose and its very tourqey. my truck feels like itll break something before spinning the tires.

any help/advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to be on top of your maintence so I would think maybe something has gone wrong. With the noise you discribe I would look closely at the muffler having a baffle broken loose and restricting flow.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 PM
jk360
Veteran

yeah i forgot i also seafoamed the engine then too.

iam also wondering about the muffler. im thinking i shouldve went with a magnaflow instead of the flowmaster. ive heard a lot of people say that they feel like the flowmaster restricted air instead of flowing better. what i would love to do is some shorty headers, high flow cats, and a new muffler, but dont have the money for all that. id also like to do gears but again, no momey. this sucks!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first muffler was a FM50 SI/DO. I installed it shortly after buying the truck in 04 and felt it slightly hurt performance at that time. Kept it until early this year when the pipes finally rotted. Installed a Magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-13762/ and dropped a couple tenths on my 0-60 times, plus I the sound of the Magnaflow IMO is better than the Flowmaster.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Busdriver9
Professional

have you checked your TPS....not sure if your truck even has one but I reset mine sometime back and it was a world of difference!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
jk360
Veteran

Yes I already did the tps reset although I didn't hear a ding or notice a difference. I thought the tps reset was only for the ctd?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 PM
AaronOregon
Rookie

Originally Posted by jk360
Yes I already did the tps reset although I didn't hear a ding or notice a difference. I thought the tps reset was only for the ctd?
I think he is referring to the Throttle Position Sensor, not the PCM computer.

Aaron

Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
jk360
Veteran

i know what the tps is. it says in the manual its only for the cummins.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:09 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

I had a similar rattle type noise under my truck. It turned out to be a exhaust clamp that was broken and rattling against the exhaust pipe... Something to check out if you're under it.

Also, is there any binding in your drivetrain? Might wanna check the driveshaft and make sure that you are good to go there...

Good Luck

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM
jk360
Veteran

Originally Posted by moosefire66
I had a similar rattle type noise under my truck. It turned out to be a exhaust clamp that was broken and rattling against the exhaust pipe... Something to check out if you're under it.

Also, is there any binding in your drivetrain? Might wanna check the driveshaft and make sure that you are good to go there...

Good Luck
yeah good point on the exhaust hanger.... ill look into that tomorrow. and no, my drivetrain is not binding. im gonna try to get to servicing the rear end one day next week after work.. maybe even sat afternoon.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram 1500 really sluggish