3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote start issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
all the switch does is break contact. If you just cut the switch wires, you will essentially bypass it. I didn't even install the one on my truck. It was more of a hassle than it would have been worth.

[/color]
*you do not need to start a new thread for the same topic that you posted up previously. They have both been merged.
@dirtydog okay that did not work one wire is gounded on the finder wall and the other one is running inside the truck to the box(i guess).

Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
codiac
Professional

Didn't even plug mine in when I installed mine and haven't had a problem. Try just unplugging it from the box under the dash.

That being said, I haven't been elbow deep in the engine bay and triggered the remote start on my keys yet, so I'll keep you posted.

I've got the original install instructions if you need me to look something up.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Try to unplug it then but factory Mopar is diff than aftermarket. Also, It sounds like you need to just ground out the one wire that goes into the cab because those hood pins are all negative triggers. The hood probably breaks the negative connection and creates an open circuit. Grounding out that wire will close the circuit.

Do this at your own risk. I don't want to be liable for any work you do on your vehicle. I try to give the best advice i can though.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-05-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
codiac
Professional

^^He's right, I checked when I got home, just grounded that wire as it all comes out of the same harness.

From the manual, it says 3 honks means it is in Service Mode:

Entering Svc Mode:
Turn ign. on
Press Start on Transmitter 3 times. 2 seconds later, the horn will chirp 3 times to indicate it's in svc mode.

Exiting Svc Mode:
Same as above except it should chirp once to indicate it is not in Svc mode any longer.

Hope that's it!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 AM
ramit99

Since we are on the topic. Just picked up an 06 Power Wagon and it has a remote start but its an Auto start. Not sure who sells them. Anyway when i try to start. It starts but shuts off right away. Does it 3 times. Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry no ideas off hand other than a switch or sensor or maybe a chipped key not being in there causing it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Lightbulb

Thanks everyone going to wait to break to go and try it seeing i'm at work. Will let everyone know the out come! (fingers crossed)

Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur

Forget waiting going know cant wait!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur

Did not work this first time but i'm going to try again at lunch its a lot of chirping and may be someone may get annoyed. Will be trying everything i can by the end of the day. Will update good or bad by tonite.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ramit99
Since we are on the topic. Just picked up an 06 Power Wagon and it has a remote start but its an Auto start. Not sure who sells them. Anyway when i try to start. It starts but shuts off right away. Does it 3 times. Any ideas?
Sounds like you have an issue with your bypass interface module. They can malfunction sometimes and a re=program could be needed. I'd look up on their website and see if you can find an owners manual to re-learn the device. otherwise, you'll need to go to an auto install place. DO NOT go to the dealership. if it aint Mopar made and they can't use their handheld tuner for diagnostics, they will be lost!
If you'd like to continue getting support on your problem, please start your own thread. thanks

You may also want to pull the 2 plastic pieces that clamp around the steering column. Just a couple of torx bits and make sure your bypass module loop is still wrapped tightly around the key cylinder. You'll see when you take the molding off.

Quick Reply: Remote start issues