3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I adjust the vertical plane of a 2006 1500 QC 4x4 Laramie headlamp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 AM
lifterfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I adjust the vertical plane of a 2006 1500 QC 4x4 Laramie headlamp?

Can't figure out how the hell to adjust the vertical plane of the headlamp. I can see one adjustment (looks like it would be horizontal to me) but not the other. I just put a leveling kit on and the headlights are way to high. The Haynes manual shows one to the side (horizontal) and one in between the bumper and the bottom of the light (vertical) but I don't have the same lights as what's depicted in the manual. Anyone know?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Matt99
Champion

Open your hood, look at your headlight....on the inside (radiator side) there will be a rubber flap. In the very middle of that flap vertically there will be a hole behind it. Stick a torx screwdriver in there (im not sure what size) and I believe left is up and right is down, might be backwards though

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
lifterfe

Yep...I'm stupid. I thought that was a horizontal adjustment (as described in my Haynes Manual) so I didn't even try it. That was it. I was just about to delete this post after I figured out my mistake!

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Matt99
Champion

naa never delete a post...someone sometime in the future will google that question and its sitting there answered....

glad you got it figured out

Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD for you! You don't see many people who put lift kits on adjust their headlights properly...I was not even aware of a horizontal adjustment :S

Had a guy for the longest time with a F-250 lifted who never adjusted his headlights, I flashed him like crazy all the time and he just would not change it. Now I have HIDs and its dark going to work now so whenever I saw him come, my highs would come on...well nice to say he has adjusted them :P

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Matt99
Champion

yea I need to adjust my fogs right now...Im not sure how to do it but will figure it out, might have to shim them a bit

Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, there is no specific up/down and left-right. The one adjuster screw adjusts the headlight up and to the left at the same time or down and to the right at the same time(pass.rside), and up/right or down/left for driver side.
This is because there is only one adjuster screw in the bottom corner of the lights rather than 2 separate adjusters for top and side.

Here's a pic looking from the backside of my driver headlamp. Notice the adjuster screw on the lower right and the stationary pivot ball on the upper left. The pivot ball is stationary and therefore only allows motion as stated above. It's an inexpensive design and is meant to be user friendly.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Lecrict
Professional

1" below the center at 25 feet (level ground)
the right to left adjustment should be centered at 25 feet.
Measure the center of headlight to ground, and center , left to right
Just use some of that painters tape to make an X on the garage door, using ablove measurements.
Back straight up 25ft, and adjust.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt99
yea I need to adjust my fogs right now...Im not sure how to do it but will figure it out, might have to shim them a bit
There is actually a hex key slot kind angled on the top of the light...You would think its a mounting screw cause its not the same size as you would use for the headlights...but they are there....

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
lifterfe

Originally Posted by Matt99
Open your hood, look at your headlight....on the inside (radiator side) there will be a rubber flap. In the very middle of that flap vertically there will be a hole behind it. Stick a torx screwdriver in there (im not sure what size) and I believe left is up and right is down, might be backwards though
I learned too that you can use a hex wrench instead of a torx.

Quick Reply: How do I adjust the vertical plane of a 2006 1500 QC 4x4 Laramie headlamp?