3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash lights on - ABS, Brake, Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:39 AM
DirtyMick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dash lights on - ABS, Brake, Airbag

Hello,

New to the forum so tried searching other threads for my issue but no luck. I have an 03 1500 5.9L and have a few issues (or could be one main issue) that I simply cannot figure out. I am by no means a mechanic but fairly handy and tried to research and fix it. My mechanic has had it a few times an cannot narrow this down yet either. Here is what is happening:

ABS, eBrake, Airbag lights all on so when this occurs I have no speedo, no heat, no a/c, no heated mirrors and no reverse lights. However, this does not always happen and occasionally the lights will not appear but ONLY if above 65 degree or so outside. I have been tinkering on and off for months and this what I have done to try and resolve it:

Replaced rear ABS sensor, output speed sensor, and ABS Module (shot in the dark on that one). I did remove the TIPM and did find several corroded wires and IPM itself and then took to mechanic but he could not get the necessary IPM pigtails so I found them on my own and did replace them which was fairly easy. This worked for a day and right back to the same issue. I do have a basic code scanner and it is not coming back with anything. A side note....when the lights are on the trans shifts at higher points then normal so thinking this is all related to one issue.

I really feel this is electrical still but out of ideas on where to look next. Any feedback would be appreciated and thank you!

Old 10-28-2022, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

5.9 gas, or diesel?

Given that the cluster takes a dump, wonder if you have a failing ignition switch.....

Old 10-28-2022, 03:21 PM
DirtyMick

It is gas. Would the ignition switch impact all those other symptoms?

Old 10-28-2022, 03:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pretty much everything is powered via the ignition switch in some fashion or other. Trying to read codes, and see why the various systems think the lights should be on would be best, but, that requires a fairly high zoot scanner to read ABS and SRS..... The local parts stores here can do it, but, some of them won't.... (liability reasons I guess.) Codes would give you a starting point.

That said, I suspect you have more than one problem.....

Old 11-02-2022, 10:01 PM
DirtyMick
Thumbs up Fixed

@HeyYou ....appreciate the bit of knowledge....changed out the ignition switch (which showed evidence of a short) and fixed all those issues! Thank you!

Old 11-03-2022, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by DirtyMick
@HeyYou ....appreciate the bit of knowledge....changed out the ignition switch (which showed evidence of a short) and fixed all those issues! Thank you!
Lucky Guess.

Quick Reply: Dash lights on - ABS, Brake, Airbag