3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pic of open diff....

Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic of open diff....

or can someone explain the difference to me between the open and Dodges "anti spin"? I hate to sound ignorant, but must admit when it comes to gears I sort of am. I bought this truck a bit over a year ago, and the rear end was serviced by a mechanic I use that I grew up with when something needs to be done to my vehicles that is over my head, or I am unable to get to. It was serviced while he had it there already changing the ball joints while I was at work.

Anyway, shortly after I bought the truck I joined here and began reading some of the woes, one of which being the retainer clips in limited slip units breaking and causing all sorts of madness. I inquired whether I may have the LSD or not and went through all the hoops to determine I dont. My glove box only states that I have 3:55 gears with the Chrysler 9". No mention of "anti spin" anywhere same for my build sheet, with pass. tire on gravel and drivers on cement I can sit all day and spin just the passenger side tire. With rear end jacked up, turn one tire forward the other spins backwards. It can however, leave two black lines on cement, I was surprised to see that when I was acting the *** in the shop at work and got out to see the 2 black lines lol. I said all that to say this....I changed the gear oil again today (30k miles on the RP), and was quite surprised when I took the cover off and saw the same thing I saw in this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...uld-do-it.html

My gears look the same as JOHNSN10. Except I cant find a "c" clip anywhere, not on the unit, not in the bottom of the housing or anywhere.
I ask for clarification because in this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ip-woes-2.html

abarmby posts a pic of his DTT, and I guess I always imagined that to be how an LSD looks. I hate that I didnt snap a pic of mine, but it looks the exact same as JOHNSN10, and as far as google images are concerned, both are open diffs. What am I missing? Thanks for any thoughts/input.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You are not missing anything, it's not uncommon to be able to leave two skid marks with an open diff, you won't spin one tire till one losses traction, if enough traction is maintained on both tires, both will continue to spin.

You can even "help" an open diff retain traction by using a little brake with the gas or applying just a little e-brake...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't actually see the clutch packs by looking in from the front such as the pics John posted up. When looking at the spider gears which are the smaller gears inside, you must look just to the left of them(behind the large ring gear) and that is where you would find the clutch packs hidden. It's in there where the retaining clips are found. Welll, the clips are on the outer edge facing the pass side(facing the spider gears).
So, to answer your question...An open diff pic would look just like a LSD pic from the front.
Also, one wheel should be spinning opposite when jacked up because that is how the spider gears operate when no pressure is applied to them...open or LSD..both act the same in that aspect.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You can't actually see the clutch packs by looking in from the front such as the pics John posted up. When looking at the spider gears which are the smaller gears inside, you must look just to the left of them(behind the large ring gear) and that is where you would find the clutch packs hidden. It's in there where the retaining clips are found. Welll, the clips are on the outer edge facing the pass side(facing the spider gears).
So, to answer your question...An open diff pic would look just like a LSD pic from the front.
Also, one wheel should be spinning opposite when jacked up because that is how the spider gears operate when no pressure is applied to them...open or LSD..both act the same in that aspect.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. It threw me for a loop, as I said before, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to diffs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pic of open diff....