3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter Replacement Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Joseph Matthew Photography
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Replacement Question.

I just got my truck back from getting a replacement motor installed by my friend he did a great job. The truck runs amazing. Picked it up last night and filled it with gas drove home and go to take the kids to school this morning and it would not start. The starter was not engaging just made a sound like it was stuck or grinding the fly wheel. I pulled the starter this morning and it looks like it might need to be replaced again. I replaced it last year with an auto zone reman. it has a life time warranty so I am headed in to test and exchange this one.

When I was pulling the starter I forgot to disconnect the battery and when I was pulling off the small nut for the starter solenoid it sparked. Anything I could have damaged? Anything I should check after I install the new starter? I looked at the starter fuse #14 under the hood and it seemed okay. going to pick up another incase it needs replacing. Battery seems fine truck still has power. I disconnected the battery for now and pulled the starter. Anything else that could be causing this grinding noise or issue when trying to start the truck?

Old 03-06-2020, 12:19 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You have the starter off so start with checking that. However you may have an issue with the starter ring gear on the flex plate of the truck. The gear on the starter meshes with the starter ring gear on the flex plate. You may need to look in the starter opening to check that ring gear.....all the way around by manually turning the engine over.
There MAY be 2 fuses you need to check. A main start fuse and possibly a smaller starter relay fuse

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 02:23 PM
Joseph Matthew Photography
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the starter and took it to auto zone to have it tested since I recently purchased it and the starter had a lifetime warranty. The starter was not engaging causing the grinding sound it was only going about halfway out and not fully spinning. They tested it on their testing machine and it failed twice. They replaced the starter for free I installed it in about 10 minutes reconnected the battery and the truck was running like brand new. I was lucky and did not damage any fuses or relays. Last time I ever replace a starter without disconnecting the battery.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:33 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Great news. Thanks for the update

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement Question.