3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have HID lows and HID highs you need two per side (total of 4) because you have HID lo/high. If you have HID low and Halogen high then you only need one per side (total of 2)

Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Rammed06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question.. I have a 2006 dodge ram and have had my HIDs in for about 4 months now. i used the resistor and relay harness and it worked fine but it only used one plug from the headlights so it was getting all of its power source from the driver side whiel the passenger side was unhooked. not even a bulb in it. but i got no headlight out or anything on the dash. It is a Bi- Xenon kit for high and low. but a week ago i turned the highs on and it only switched one headlight so i checked the relay and thought it was the problem so i went to put my stock bulbs back in until i got a new relay but found out no power went to the passenger side bulb nor would the high beams work it would just shut off when i switched to highs and only driver side worked on low... there is nothing still on the dash for lamp out or anything... any ideas???

Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammed06
I have a question.. I have a 2006 dodge ram and have had my HIDs in for about 4 months now. i used the resistor and relay harness and it worked fine but it only used one plug from the headlights so it was getting all of its power source from the driver side whiel the passenger side was unhooked. not even a bulb in it. but i got no headlight out or anything on the dash. It is a Bi- Xenon kit for high and low. but a week ago i turned the highs on and it only switched one headlight so i checked the relay and thought it was the problem so i went to put my stock bulbs back in until i got a new relay but found out no power went to the passenger side bulb nor would the high beams work it would just shut off when i switched to highs and only driver side worked on low... there is nothing still on the dash for lamp out or anything... any ideas???
On your 2006 which has a TIPM(totally integrated power module...fancy computerized relay box in front of the battery) that controls all of the circuits..If you have no current draw and the TIPM reads it as being low or zero so many times(250x's), it will turn power to that circuit off for protection for good. You will need to add a resistor to the pass side and likely unhook the battery and touch the terminals together to reset the ecu as it currently has Active codes. You wont have power to that circuit unless you make those Active codes turn inactive.

If addding he resistors doesn't help after that, you will need to go to the dealer and have them reset the TIPM.

I have my truck exactly as you stated and had no codes shown, but the Starscan tool from the dealer showed Active codes on the pass side circuit.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by FixOrRepairDaily7638
Why not just run a set of 55W HID's and not worry about the flicker?
Because you have to understand how HIDs/halogens and the PCM work. The reason the Lamp Out comes on when a bulb is bad is because the filament in the bulbs actually comes loose or breaks. When that happens the trucks PCM can no longer read that circuit and knows something is wrong with the bulb so it notifies you via the dash lights and reduces voltage.

HIDs are filled with gas and salts and when electrified with high voltage, create a plasma light. But there is no filament so the truck cannot detect the bulb. Using a bulb that has the light output of 35w v/s 55w isnt going to make a difference as there is still no filament inside the HID bulb.

Bottom line overall, some people can get away with running HIDs with no resistors or caps just like some people can do it with interior LEDs. But not everyone can and some of those who do get away with it find issues coming back later down the road.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Atwiss
so i bought the resisters but which wires are which you said i have it wired correctly and i understand you have to splice the low to the common and the high to the same common wire but which is which. the plug has a triangle appearance it looks kind of like a wall outlet two straight across from each and then the 3rd one that would be the ground on the wall outlet and how have people spliced it just a quick splice or strip a section of wire and solder it... etc
Well, don't you have the oem connectors pligged into your HID kit? So you can't use the pins themselves. Just use taps on the wres. White/blue and white/green are low and high. Atleast on my '08 they are.
You can solder it if you'd like and tape it up after. That would be a better solution.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

determining which wire is high and low really will not matter as you will have one resistor on each one anyway. But if you specifically want to know then you can download the service manual in my links below and look at the electrical wiring diagrams for the headlights.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

What reverse polarity? What exactly are you referencing?

You can go to ebay and buy just a single 9007 (or whatever plug style you need) and wire yours like this. Make sure you get the right male or female plug though

Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Josh E
Professional

Installed the HID's lastnight.......heres my deal. They work fine but after i turn them off and get out of the truck and then a few minutes later go to open the door, the lights fire real quick almost like a build up of energy. Is that normal. Don't really bother me just wondering.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

it is normal. It is the trucks PCM sending out pulse signals to individual circuits to wake them up out of sleep mode

Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Josh E
Professional

hate to hear your having problems man, good luck on a fix.

Weed......my kits came from HID Extra......is it also normal for the high beams to suck? They are the same light on high as my old factory bulbs and as wierd as it may seem........they are no where near as bright as my low beam hids. Hope that makes sense

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...