3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hey gents. just bought a ram 1500 and i already broke it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, sounds like you might have bought the wrong truck. First rule is to know what you want your truck to do for you. You will save a lot of time, money and frustration having a firm goal in mind. enjoy....

Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM
i r grunt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the wrong truck, in fact I love it. I'm not meant to go off roading. I just want the lift for looks. :P thanks though man.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
i r grunt
Professional

i completely agree that i do not like the whole nose down thing that the truck comes standard as. so id have to buy something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...39138052919882) not exactly that one because mine is an 05, seems hard to find one for this year ?- and this goes on the front of the truck only? then after that i'd get a 3inch suspension lift kit or is just a body lift easier? I heard the frame wont be exposed too much? is that true? which raises the front and back? I mean i'm gonna have this local truck shop do it... so all in all the parts will be like 600 and i have no idea what they'll charge for labor. please correct me if i am a huge ****ing idiot. also what size tires would you reccomend if i did all that?

Last edited by i r grunt; 11-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing wrong with lifting a 2WD truck. ALL coil spacer leveling kits for '02-'08 4x2s will work. The reason that kit is specifically '06+ is it's for a 4x4 and Dodge changed the front ends from a torsion bar front ('02-'05) to a coil over front ('06+).

Yeah you have the general idea. Coil spacers to level it (brings the front up 2-2.5"), then a body lift will lift the entire truck 3 more inches. With 5" of total lift on a 4x2, I'd be thinking 33" tires minimum up to 35" maximum.

Labor is a tough call, I do almost all my own work. Coil spacers is about an hour per side TOPS on a lift, PLUS you will need an alignment afterwards (you will NOT need one after a body lift). Body lift is a bit more intensive, I've installed a couple, taken me about 8 hours, I'm thinking on a lift, in a shop, maybe 6 hours. Hourly rates vary by the shop...

Start with the level kit see how you like it and go from there...

Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have all the tools and equipment and help you need available to you right on base. check out the auto skills hobby shop. they have lifts, air tools, and helping hands. thats where i do all my major projects.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
i r grunt
Professional

hm it all seems pretty basic. Still its blowing my mind, haha. There is a auto-hobby shop on base where they rent you out pretty much any tools you need. Still I get off work at like 5pm everyday (when im not on a field op!) And since im a beginner im sure it'd take me ages to get it done. So my only option is really just the truck shop doing it for me. I really want to get this done ever since i bought it a few weeks ago. gonna call the shop tomorow and talk to him about what we talked about here.

edit: hey dirty john I hear you, i'd love to do it on my own man. but its like whats the point if i get off at 5 anyway. maybe on weekends eh?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
i r grunt
Professional

As you can see... I have a 2005 Ram 1500 slt 5.7l hemi 2wd... will this leveling kit work out???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 AM
me0418840987
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Welcome. As for limits and such, I am a firm believer you can do everything a 4wd can do IF you know HOW to drive your truck correctly.

Thank you. Its about time someone actually agrees with me. All you need is new tires before the snow flies, and you don't get stuck.(And I have a BIG winch

Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah those spacers in post 13 are what you need to lift and level the front end. What i dont see mentioned anywhere in this thread so far is when you lift and level the front you also need longer shocks because you essentially are extending them 2" more and at that point they are maxed out. So when you hit something and they need to absorb and stretch back out, well that just doesnt work good or sound good.

Hammer covered it on when you need to get the alignment. I also work late everyday and as long as the weather is decent outside, i work on my toys. Weekends are a bonus when the wife doesnt have something planned.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
i r grunt
Professional

Okay so longer shocks to go along with my leveling kit. Could you suggest a set that i'd buy? like send me a link so I can see what were talking about. also if i got a lift kit would i need even longer shocks then too?

would i be better off buying this (http://roughcountry.com/shocks_rc9000.html) for when i get the leveling kit, then when i upgrade again in the future to a lift kit?

Last edited by i r grunt; 11-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: hey gents. just bought a ram 1500 and i already broke it!