3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 1500 Hemi, noise in differential after rebuild...questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
The Penguin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 1500 Hemi, noise in differential after rebuild...questions

Hi all - first post here.

Truck is a 2003 1500 quad cab with Hemi, auto trans and I believe 3.92 gear set with limited slip. 145K miles on truck.

Recently rebuilt my differential due to high-pitched whine. Upon disassembly, we found that the race for the rear pinion bearing was chewed up due to one of the LSD clutch "keepers" breaking and getting caught between the rollers and the race.

picked up a differential kit and replaced all bearings, races and seals and reassembled.

now I have a dull roar coming from the rear end when decelerating.

questions:

1. we reassembled using the same carrier even though 2 of the LSD clucth keepers were destroyed. All traces and pieces of the keepers have been removed. I called a couple drive axle shops and they said the carrier is a no-servicable item and I would have to replace the whole thing. Am I taking a big chance by using it as is? it is missing 1 keeper on each side of the carrier.

2. what could be causing the new noise? It could possibly be the pinion pre-load, I think we had it at 30 in-lbs where spec calls for 15-25. The other possibility (and most likely) is that the axle bearings on the carriers need to be adjusted to move the carrier either to the left or to the right just a hair.

thoughts?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the shop told you wrong, here is a rebuild kit for the stock differential. http://moesperformance.com/index.php...ducts_id=12287

I would blue the ring and pinion to check the tooth contact area and backlash to see if all was right with the gears. then the carrier bearings. I think it will take some judgement to check the pinion load with everything together, but you should be able to tell if everything is rolling over smoothly. Last thought is maybe an axle bearing? Good luck...

Quick Reply: 03 1500 Hemi, noise in differential after rebuild...questions