3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmisson termostat in oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmisson termostat in oil cooler

I have been wondering for a while why my trans temp is going so high when I have this big oil cooler.

so now that I was reading the manual (workshop) to see what I can find.. Then I see that there is a thermostat in my oil cooler. never heard about thermostat in a trans oil before. the thermostat is mounted in the oil cooler. I did mount it and force the thing open. then my trans never go much more than 150 F when test-drive.

(not everyone have this type cooler. this is the big cooler with oil line around)

the stock one say 185 F, but I did check this and the real activate temp is close to 200 F
do anyone know where to by this parts?
I look for a new thermostat that activate on little lover temp.
I don't see any problems going down to about 160 F.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The transmission won't like running cooler than "normal". For one thing, O/D won't engage until the system has warmed up (not sure what temp that is). Is there a Dodge dealer near you, or a NAPA store? You might also try some of the on-line Chrysler/Dodge dealers.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Default temp

O/D work at least from 150F. I reed temp on my autometer temp gauge all the time.
I would like the thermostat working at least at correct temp (185) not 200.

problem is I see temp rise very quickly more than 220 when towing hard. this is the thing I want to avoid.

but I will try a new stock if the dealer can find me one.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Buggsy
Professional

I was compleately unaware that the transmission could have a thermostat. It has to work differently than how the one in the engine works, as you can not restrict the flow of oil to/from the transmission.

I think your best bet would be to either replace it with a stock thermostat. If you find your transmission running to hot, you should look at buying a new, larger, oil cooler. Or you could even try and just remove the thermostat. Some people do this with their engines in the hot summer, but I do not know how it would work in a transmission.

On a side topic, I'd love to hear about how you are running the truck on LPG. My first car was a 1977 Grand Prix, dual fuel converted to run on either propane or gasoline by my dad. It'd like to know what you did to run a fuel injected engine on propane.

Last edited by Buggsy; 01-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Maybe a remote thermostat, is an easy way out: http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html.

FYI- I have never seen my Trans. Temp above 165F.

Last edited by Rich 2500; 01-25-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

the termostat is working in a way that when oil is cold the oil is routed right back to the trans. when oil are hot the thermostat reroute oil into the slots on the radiator (cooling part).
it is possible to remove the thermostat. But then oil will only go back to trans without any cooling.
I can force the thermostat to stay open, like when oil is warm, all the time.
but it is also a "smart" thing with the thermostat. this short the time to get up to working temperature. I just want it to operate a little sooner.

I will get some pictures to post here soon. and show the oil routing!

Buggsy, the LPG kit is popular here in europe. there is a LPG-ecu that "cut" the power to gas injectors and power LPG/prophane injectors. then the lpg-ecu use the timing on the gas injectors to adjust LPG-injectors. this work werry vell. shifting from gas to LPG when driving and I almost don't feel a thig on the car.
see http://www.lpg-vehicles.co.uk/lpg_co...conversion.htm
this tell you more about it.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmm...............couldn't you mount an extra electrical fan with a temp sensor on the tranny cooler to force down these high temp spikes?
The fan can be set for lower and upper off/on temps.
This would have the advantage of only cooling rapidy your transmission when needed and be in the off condition, when not.

Also I've been running LPG here in the UK for 5 years now, with over 50 thousand miles on the system.
It's the ONLY way we can manage to run our trucks economically over here, as petrol prices are now over $9 a gallon..!!!!!!
Gas/lpg is much lower in price due to tax breaks, with LPG being considered a "green fuel".
But for how long.....???? no one knows.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 01-25-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive also never heard of a t-stat in the trans but it could have something to do with the OP living in Norway. It may be there for winters or something.

But pictures would really be great in this case so if you could please take some and post them, it would be great.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Default pictures

ok..
I have som pictures from the manual here.
this thermostat is only on the 5.9 l gas enginge (manual say so)

thermostat
Name:  Bilde002.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  18.1 KB

cooler when oil is warm. the thermostat is in the upper right corner on this picture!
Name:  hotoil.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  21.7 KB

cooler when oil is cold
Name:  kaldt.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  20.5 KB

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ah....well the 5.9 is way different from the 5.7.

Quick Reply: transmisson termostat in oil cooler