3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear axle help

Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
outcast
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle help

So my rear axle decided to blow up on me this past weekend. I need everything but the axles. Im going cheap for now where could i find cheap gears(all),LSD clutches. And how hard would it be to put back toghter. Me and my dad both know wat we are doin when it comes to cars but we know nothin about settin up rear axle gears. So is it pretty easy or just go and take it to a shop. Im puttin the stock size gears back in it for now. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of guys on here end up getting a shop to do it, although there is a good gear install thread if you search. I think the typical rate is ~$250 labor per axle. From what I've read, it is pretty difficult and if you don't do it right, you can damage the new ring & pinion. Sounds like a good time to upgrade?

I just got done doing an engine swap and I didn't want to attempt the gear install. My truck is in the shop right now getting 4.56s.

I would look on ebay and craigslist for gears. I found mine cheap on craigslist and a 4x4 forum that I stumbled upon using google.

Last edited by T-Muns; 03-17-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I could probably have done mine being as mechanical inclined as I am but at the cost of the special tools I would have needed versus how many times in the future I would have used them, I just paid a guy 250 to do mine and be done with it. Sorry i cant help more

Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 PM
outcast
Professional

So i was thinkin if i have to do my rear gears y not just save up and change my front ones. I have 392's in it now a little to high but i hear a lot of guys goin to 456's. I think that would be to low anything between a 410 and 456 for front and rear? I do alot of muddin so wat would be a good locker and do they make any kind of posi or lockers for the front end.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 PM
draco8494
Captain

u need a selectable for the front either eaton or ARB..you can get a detroit also...but if i were you if its just the rear ide look for one at a junkyard..whole axle will prolly be about 250 bucks...vs just the ring and pinion being that much...my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear axle help