3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Ram Tow Harness Blue Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
VFWMG_Axle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 07 Ram Tow Harness Blue Wire

Have a problem I just cant get my head wrapped around and maybe someone here has had the same problem and found the solution.

My 07 Quad Cab Ram 1500 4x4 has the factory 4-pin tow harness out back, has the blue connector under the dash, has the oil and tranny coolers normally found in trucks with the factory tow package, but not the tow mirrors or 7-pin connector out back. So I bought the MOPAR 7-pin plug/wire harness that plugs into the 4-pin and has you splice the back-up light into the left tail light, ground to the frame, red power wire to the battery, and the 20amp fuse. The instructions have you run the blue wire into the cab but zip tie it up out of the way?! I don't get it, what does the blue wire hook into? My Tekonsha has the plug to plug wire harness but no where for the blue wire to hook up. That's all I have left to do... someone HELP!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like you have the same issue I had, except I paid the dealer before I picked up the truck to install the tow package, and they didn't do it properly. The blue wire is supposed to be hooked into the fuse block under the hood on if I recall correctly fuse number 12 which is labeled electric brakes. Your brake controller has the plug that goes eventually goes to one side of the fuse I mentioned...unless you have factory (not dealer) installed tow package, the other side of that fuse is empty...waiting for the blue wire that you have open ended right now...hope this helps, if it is confusing, maybe I can explain it a different way, or maybe include pics(tomorrow) of what I am refering to

btw, my truck had the coolers and 4 pin connector already, so I think all these trucks come that way...just no hitch or 7 pin connector so I paid $500 for the two parts and install, and they didn't even do it right, but it sounds like they read the instructions to a T because they coiled the blue wire up and zip tied it. over the past 5 years I rewired EVERY trailer (with brakes) I have ever pulled cuz the brakes didn't work...thinking "how could the wiring in a brand new truck be wrong??" So finally a couple months ago I started troubleshooting the truck, and took me all of 5 minutes to find that the dealer negelected to hook the wire into the fuse block...I was beyond PISSED

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 04-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM
MikeyInNY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue wire

So after reading the numerous threads about the blue wire, I finally figured out how to wire my truck. I bought my truck two weeks ago primarily to tow my camper. It came with the standard 4 pin hookup. The dealer was nice enough to install the 7 pin connector for me. I went and bought the brake controller connector and followed the directions for wining, but lo and behold, no brakes. I checked the continuity from the 7 pin connector to the back of the harnees and it was bad. After reading some of the comments I looked under the hood and found the blue wire nicely coiled up. I tried to feed it through the wire bundle but it was too tight. I drilled a hole the exact size of the wire through a plastic plate where the clutch pedal would go. I then disconnected the blue wire from the brake controller to the harness that I bought, and connected it to the blue wire I fed thru the firewall. The other three wires are still connected to the harness. Now I have brakes. Glad I found this forum.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyInNY
So after reading the numerous threads about the blue wire, I finally figured out how to wire my truck. I bought my truck two weeks ago primarily to tow my camper. It came with the standard 4 pin hookup. The dealer was nice enough to install the 7 pin connector for me. I went and bought the brake controller connector and followed the directions for wining, but lo and behold, no brakes. I checked the continuity from the 7 pin connector to the back of the harnees and it was bad. After reading some of the comments I looked under the hood and found the blue wire nicely coiled up. I tried to feed it through the wire bundle but it was too tight. I drilled a hole the exact size of the wire through a plastic plate where the clutch pedal would go. I then disconnected the blue wire from the brake controller to the harness that I bought, and connected it to the blue wire I fed thru the firewall. The other three wires are still connected to the harness. Now I have brakes. Glad I found this forum.
Yup, it sounds like it'd work, my problem is I am quite particular about my wiring and such (electrical engineer) so I want it tied into the fuse block like it is supposed to be...since there is a fuse and circuit specifically for this purpose...I just don't know where to find the connector that will hook the wire to the back of the circuit board terminals for the fuse...I keep meaning to go to the dealer and yell at them for not doing it right in the first place and try to get them to give me the connector and I will do it myself since they are obviously incapable

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 05-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 Ram Tow Harness Blue Wire